PDA

View Full Version : Becoming a m.s. partner question

markiezzi
10-07-2007, 10:03 PM
Hello,

I was thinking of becoming a low level Microsoft Partner. I filled out some information then got to the legal terms and conditions. It states that microsoft can audit you and give you 2 days to get all your paper work in order. This is a little discouraging and frightening. All the software I use for the company is legit I just don't know exactly what they would do in the audit and how often you can get auditted. If anyone here is a member and can help ease my nerves that would be greatly appreciated. I was looking to see if they had a low level member program which is free to join and may give me a little benefit.

Thanks
Mark

Holzster
10-08-2007, 02:26 AM
I am a partner also - they put that line in there to cover them in case there is a law suite with one of your clients.
I am (if you read my posts) not a MS fan but have to live with them to stay in business.
One bit of advise is after you become a partner sign up to get the Action Pack. You get perty much everything they make to use. One advanyage is that MS Small Business Accounting is part of it - so I use that good easy software for all the invoicing. The Action Pack is worth every penny.
Please ask if you have any more questions.

greggh
10-08-2007, 03:09 PM
The ActionPack is definitely a great thing. It is well worth the cost.

The Goatboy
10-09-2007, 07:24 PM
Like Holzster and greggh said, the Action Pack is worth it's weight in gold. You have to be atleast a "Registered Partner", but it is free to join and there are no conditions (atleast none that I remember) in order to obtain partnership. If you take some MS exams along the way (or if you already have), that counts toward upgrading your membership in the future depending on how into it you get. Good luck.

greggh
10-10-2007, 03:34 PM
Its as simple as this: (this is for anyone who doesnt already know how.)

1. Go to this website: https://partner.microsoft.com
2. Choose your country. It will go to the partner site for you.
3. Click the sign-in button. Login with a Live ID (passport, whatever they want to call it today.) If you don't have one, create one.
4. It will then take you to a different page. On that page you will be asked if you are signed into the right account. It will have a link to https://partner.microsoft.com/us/40001301 under the word Enroll. Follow that link.
5. Enroll your company.

After the enrollment you are actually considered a Microsoft partner. You are of course at the lowest possible level, but you can get the ActionPack at that point. I know in the US (877)283-1925 is the phone number for the ActionPack support line. You can order it from there, make sure your account (partnership) is properly setup, and you can talk to them about going up levels to get more things. With bigger and better partnerships you get more in your ActionPack.

If you have other people working with you they can attach their Live ID to your newly enrolled partner. If any of you pass any Microsoft exams it will apply to that partnership. Certain exams move you up levels and get you more things. If you get close to getting up a level they will even call you saying "you only need this one more test to move up a level, here is how you can take it at a discount."

rsavoia
10-19-2007, 01:03 AM
There are other advantages to membership in the Microsoft Partner program besides the Action Pack subscription. In fact, I have been a member for years and never purchased the Action Pack. There are other perks though. I primarily use my membership for the marketing tools and some of the spiffs they offer from selling their products. Over the years I received a lot of software, marketing collateral and swag that I used to help market Microsoft product in my store.

There is a lot to it and it is considered one of the better partner programs in the industry so it doesn't hurt to join.

The Goatboy
10-25-2007, 02:22 PM
Freebies from MS are sparse nowadays though; before the dot.com bubble burst and maybe for a little after that was the time to be a partner; they gave away software like giving candy out for halloween.

thecoldone06
10-25-2007, 02:24 PM
MS gave stuff away until they realized they could make money off of it. Once they realized people would pay for it they got dollar signs in their eyes. ;)