PDA

View Full Version : EasyDesk HelpDesk

Techie
01-30-2010, 02:17 AM
EasyDesk HelpDesk

"EasyDesk Helpdesk is a simple call logging utility for small helpdesks, support centres or any business... It is designed primarily to be quick and easy to use." http://www.ziggyred.com/easydesk/

I've quoted the above from his website, WOW!, That's all I can say.:p

After searching on and off for over a year for a complete but uncomplicated HelpDesk software package. I've finally found my app! This is really, really good software.

EasyDesk is complete and customisable and very powerful. It will track/log/and analyze all of your support calls and everything is very intuitive.

It takes a little time to get used to the initial front end but it's worth it.
I'm now using it exclusively and it's already making my business more productive. I've saved the best for last, the price. Only 49$,it's a steal in my eyes. I was looking at another software application that was over 400$ and didn't look this good, so I'm really impressed.

I've been doing IT since '94 and in business (On Site Servicing) for just under 7 years, and it takes alot to put a smile on my face. This software did just that!

You can download a fully functional version that only has a random nag screen from the authors website, if you have ever wanted or were curious about adding a Help Desk app to your arsenal, I think you should check it out! ;-)

callthatgirl
01-30-2010, 03:07 AM
Me Likey!!!

I am doing some testing with it, I don't see a credit card payment area :( that would be SWEET.

Thanks for the tip, I am buying it for my master computer in the workshop with 1 account for now to get going, seems awesome!

You know what I love, it's just like the big box ones, but cleaner. Less crap. I also like that I can keep tickets open and see what is on the R&D table I'm so excited to test it!

Techie
01-30-2010, 03:46 AM
Yes indeed, I really like the fact I can check my daily call logs and see what's happening at a glance. Also, you'll find the log reports can be quite in depth and really shed light on client/support details.

>>>>> a credit card payment area that would be SWEET

I agree, a CC payment field would be nice, that being said, the developer seems very open to suggestions for further enhancements. Hint hint! ;)

cmonova
01-30-2010, 01:08 PM
From a quick read looks like it can' be put on a server somewhere that it has to be locally...I'd want to be able to access it remotely if possible

callthatgirl
01-30-2010, 01:23 PM
I posted on their support board about it. That would be a great feature for a simple tool.

I plan on putting it in my master computer where everyone can log in and use it. I will log into it via logmein when I'm offsite.

Should be easy! I don't have a server anyway :p

Xander
01-30-2010, 03:58 PM
I'm curious about it. I'm still small-potatoes enough that I don't need it...yet. I'm hoping to convert the porch into more of a reception/office by the Spring and, if things pick up as hoped, this might come in handy.

Two things I'm not seeing offhand -- option to import an existing customer list and some way to input info when off-site (web interface or such for my iphone would be ideal).

Techie
01-30-2010, 10:55 PM
Currently there's no web interaface.

I would do the same as Lisa and remote in via Logmein or Teamviewer and access the GUI that way. If you're on a LAN and want to access EasyDesk via the internal network There's 2 ways:

-------------------------------------------------------
(1) Copy "Desk.eddb" to your network drive and set this new location on each client version of Easydesk under OPtions > Database > Set Database Location.

(2) Install the program onto the network drive and simply get each client to run the program from there.

Both methods are commonly in use.

As for importing customer details: Heres a snippet form the EasyDesk Support Page

desk.eddb is a Jet database file so it can be opened in MS Access (do not convert if asked and always keep a copy first.

You should be able to import from Excel to Access fairly easily.

The fields map as follows:

FIELD = VALUE
Name = full name (e.g. John Smith or Smith, John)
Username = reference (must be unique - e.g. a username, or sequential number)
Extension = phone number
Location = Address
Notes = Notes
Building = Email Address (I know, it's a legacy thing!)

The Spare fields are not currently used.
--------------------------------------------------

callthatgirl
01-31-2010, 05:33 AM
I was pleased to see that it was backend database locally so I could back it up. That was one concern, I want control locally, I really don't want to trust a website owned by another company.

I plan on buying it next week and setting up. Will report my findings!

I really like how it looks like a corporate (Remedy, Lotus Notes add on), type of software that of which I am comfortable with already (from 7 years on the helpdesk). I LOVE LOVE LOVE the email feature!!! It's so cool!

Techie
01-31-2010, 03:58 PM
My sentiments exactly Lisa!

I also appreciate the ability to customize the default GUI and reports. I've been running it 24x7 for just over 3 weeks and no hiccups or errors. I average 30-40 support emails per day and it's made my call workflow much more efficient.

callthatgirl
01-31-2010, 07:01 PM
support emails, do you mean that you are updating those tickets with those emails/info, etc...or are you getting that many clients a day?

:eek:

Techie
01-31-2010, 10:49 PM
We average 15/20+ new (unique) client support email requests daily.

Some are from new clients via the support email link from our Website, while others are existing customers who either have maintenance contracts with us or are just paying on a per call basis. So yes, I am counting each incident as 2 since we always have at least 1 follow-up email to close a ticket. ;)

callthatgirl
02-03-2010, 02:28 AM
I downloaded and showed Gina, the new assistant. She thinks it's simple and will be good to use. I think so too.

Testing free version this week and will then buy up. I'm excited to get going.

Haktar
02-03-2010, 03:23 AM
just came across this post, its funny iu was thinking about coding an application over the next few weeks to do exactly this, although i had planned on intergrating it with a server so clients could keep up to date on there repairs from my web site.

callthatgirl
02-03-2010, 05:08 AM
I charge $75 an hour, I'll pay $49 to get this faster.
:)

hext
02-03-2010, 09:55 AM
http://www.spiceworks.com/

is a free alternative and can be accessed remotly, worth looking into.

Have been trialling it with a few customers (however, they still like calling:rolleyes:)

Techie
02-03-2010, 12:17 PM
Spiceworks=Price: Free with ads, or $20 per month without them.

I tried Spiceworks, liked some of the functionality but found it not suited for my Technical Support Needs. It's really designed for IT Intranets and I found it slow on my Quad Core to initialize on Win 7 (go figure). Also, not fond of the Adware though it's to be expected with this type of freeware alternative.

I really appreciate the speed and simplicity of EasyDesk, without all of the overhead and CPU cycling and constant Network Polling that other similar products invoke.

I subscribe to the -KISS- methodology (K-eep I-t S-imple S-tupid) . ;)