PDA

View Full Version : Looking for website Critique

anglina
01-28-2010, 02:43 AM
Hello!

I am hoping to hear some critiques and suggestion about my site.

It is still on a free domain, as I don't get enough business to justify doing that yet. Perhaps after some critiques and improvements I will.

wix.com/anglina/thecomputerguy

Thanks!!

mbwalden
01-28-2010, 04:39 AM
I'll tell you what. I'll have a look at yours, and give you my humble take on it, if you'll do the same for mine. Let me know what you think...

Thanks,

anglina
01-28-2010, 04:52 AM
waldenpcservice dot com

It seems kind of "busy"

Maybe having a separate download page instead of having them all right in front.

Just WAY too much stuff on the main page. Again, perhaps different pages for each thing. A hardware page, OS/Software page, tips, downloads, etc.

Too many widgets.

It would drive me away. Not trying to sound rude.

Using frames the way you have and the background make it hard on the eyes.

Too many ads, don't know if they are yours or a providers ads.

Try showing your services as the first thing seen.

Most people don't like websites that are too busy. (Google over Yahoo)

mbwalden
01-28-2010, 05:37 AM
Thanks, and I don't think you're rude. I appreciate the look over, and the ideas. (I've often thought my site was too widget heavy, and tricky to look at).

That being said, on to my summary.

I like the sleek look, and the ease of use. I'm torn as to whether or not you'd benefit by showing a picture of yourself, with a small bio of your experience, certifications, etc. What part of the country is your market in?

Perhaps a "Free estimates" or other enticement on the services page?

All in all, not too shabby. I'm sure you'll be tweaking it here and there. How long has it been up?

anglina
01-28-2010, 06:56 AM
Used to have a picture of myself on my qualifications page, but an industry friend of mine said it wasn't friendly or professional So I took it down.

I may try to do a photo again, I've lost a lot of weight since the site was first put up, maybe I can get that friendly and/or professional vibe to show up now.

I do have a list of experience, but don't want to include details, as it is confusing to non-techs. Again, industry friend's advice

I don't have any certifications, yet, but hope to have some this summer.

I've been working with and repairing computers for almost ten years (self-taught)

The website has been around for maybe a year or more and has gone through more than its fair share of changes.

Currently I live in Vientiane, Laos. Before I live at the US Embassy in Moscow, Russia.

I usually service expats and embassy personnel as well as small businesses

Seeing all of the different features on your site gave me an idea about different things to include on my site as well. Downloads page, tips, opinions, etc.

Simmy
01-28-2010, 10:37 AM
I'll tell you what. I'll have a look at yours, and give you my humble take on it, if you'll do the same for mine. Let me know what you think...

Thanks,

My eyes! My beautiful eyes! :eek:

RyansPCRepairs
01-28-2010, 07:27 PM

Its like something blew up and then landed on a html file.

No but honestly, look into some clean wordpress free templates. If you sign up with hostgator you can install wordpress with 1 click thru their cPanel, and from there its just about adding pages with live previews. Theres all sorts of plugins available for things like contact forms. Youtube would have some video tutorials.

MM PC Solutions
01-28-2010, 08:41 PM
Anglina:
First thing I noticed was the advert for creating a free website, this looks unprofessional to me. I stopped reviewing at this point.

Re: waldenpcservice dot com

Either this is a joke or it needs to be filed here (http://www.blogstorm.co.uk/top-10-worst-websites/).

MM PC Solutions
01-28-2010, 08:42 PM
Anglina:
First thing I noticed was the advert for creating a free website, this looks unprofessional to me.

Either this is a joke or it needs to be filed here (http://www.blogstorm.co.uk/top-10-worst-websites/).

TLE
01-28-2010, 09:44 PM
Its like something blew up and then landed on a html file.

I couldn't have put it better myself.

On serious and constructive note, Walden, do you offer Web design as a service? If so, your own website is not a good advert.

I can only mirror what the others have said. It's just far too busy and I find myself wanting to look away. Most sites suffer from too much white space, but yours is the opposite. The one thing I would say is that the page is too wide, I have to scroll across.

Anglina, nice clean looking site, but I do think it lacks something. I certainly wouldn't put a picture yourself on it, as it does look unprofessional. I think you site needs some kind of branding. Do you have any logos?

You could also provide more information on your services rather than just listing them.

Doc
01-30-2010, 01:44 PM
anglina - Your site is adequate but what strikes me first is that there no company name or logo, you dont have a contact number either and I think you could lose points some because of the ad at the bottom.

mbwalden - I think your website in it current state will harm you rather than promote you.

mbwalden
01-31-2010, 06:52 PM
Thanks for the opinions folks,

I've scrapped most of the original design on my site, and made some wholesale changes. If your eyes are working again, please have a look at my latest trick.

I truly do want to know what works and what stinks, so fire away

Thanks,
MB Walden

Doc
01-31-2010, 07:21 PM
Theres still too much all over the place, consider a template http://www.oswd.org/ and try basing your site off of that.

Doc
01-31-2010, 07:33 PM
Also check out my pc repairs (http://www.mob-pcdoc.co.uk) site.

MM PC Solutions
01-31-2010, 07:53 PM
You know, I was actually nervous clicking on your link not knowing what to expect! lol

It is "better" but I use that term loosely in comparison to your old site.

Take note on what others have mentioned and check out some templates for idea's.

lgtechcomputers
02-03-2010, 01:42 AM

Man that is way too crowded and disorganized. Hard to navigate and yay i had to close quickly.

Re: http://www.wix.com/anglina/thecomputerguy

Hmmm - It seems like empty somehow. I also got turned off by the free website advertising at the beginning.
Layout is good but I think it is lacking in something...

Haktar
02-03-2010, 01:43 AM
hmmm i seem to have found a bug, if you view your site then go back then forward the site is the wrong size :/