PDA

View Full Version : Anyone doing serious blogging for business?

callthatgirl
01-27-2010, 04:44 AM
I have been blogging for about 2 years now. I didn't have much traffic when I started out, but it grew over time. I didn't have a website and blog combined, so my blog eventually was getting more business than my website.

:eek:

I went to a networking luncheon and 3 people that I never met all mentioned blogs I wrote, all 3 were different. After that, I had to combine my website and blog. No question.

I combined my site in June of 2009, and my site hits went from 6000 page hits to 21,000. Now I am at about 88,000 a month. Those are not unique hits! Just page hits, but it shows that having more "dynamic" information over "static" information keeps folks coming back for more.

I am interested in hearing about how others are blogging and if anyone would be interested in sharing blogs with each with backlinks of course.

We can all help each other out.

RicChapman
01-27-2010, 10:17 AM
Hi Lisa,

Blogging is currently on my to do list with regards to my site in the hope that I can provide something helpful for free as well as drive traffic in my direction. I've done a test blog and within a couple of weeks of posting I had a call for help with a memory upgrade and reference to my Memory related blog, can't be bad :)

Provided I can get some good content up and start doing a regular post I'm sure blogging will help with getting the visitors I need.

Love your site and great blog content, I'd appreciate feedback on my lonley blog if you can spare the time :)

Ric

MobileTechie
01-27-2010, 10:50 AM
That's a cool site.

You appear to be running a very professional company there. Good job!

I'm sort of playing at blogging. I.e. I've written a few articles for my site but it's not set up properly. Mostly I did it just to get the backlinks from the blog directories but it's something I intend to expand upon.

I'm well up for swapping links or whatever so just let me know.

wimwauters
01-27-2010, 11:49 PM
blogging is a way of mind: you'l be surprised how many things come a long that warrant an article or comment. I got loads of drafts :)

callthatgirl
01-28-2010, 01:54 AM
Ric, just a review, but you definately need to blog more. Your last one was in August. You should be blogging way more than that, I think I saw one blog total? Pretty good though for the "average user". I think too many techies blog for other techies, not the consumer. Nice site though! Me Likey!

Mobiletech, like your site too! Very professional and clean. You're blogging ab out once a month, up that to once a week. Like I told Ric. The more you blog, the more it shows you care to help. Free help = value to the clients. It shows you are very responsive and paying attention to your business. Even though it's business strategy.

:p

Wim, I have about 10 drafts ready to roll. I get odd ideas all the time. Just yesterday I wanted to help out the seniors, so they got a blog.

If any of you need content, feel free to take one of my "easy to read" blogs, just add in at the end, "contributed by Lisa Hendrickson, Owner of Call That Girl, a computer repair company based out of Minneapolis"

That's all I ask, I have over 100 blogs and don't mind sharing my content.

I can go on and on about blogging. I love it and enjoy it very much!

RicChapman
01-28-2010, 04:28 PM
Lisa, your totally right need to do more! I'm thinking perhaps at least once a week is a good minimum? I've started this afternoon and already have three blogs close to completion so that should get me jump started :)

Wasn't sure if I was any good at it but if you don't practice you don't get better, right? :rolleyes:

If anyone has any interest in using one of my upcoming blogs please feel free, just reference me and my site.

callthatgirl
01-29-2010, 03:28 AM
I will definately check out your blogs and post them on mine (if they are not too geeky LOL). My readers are all very basic users.

I will of course give you credit and back link!

My blogs need even more oomph, more more more :eek:

RicChapman
01-29-2010, 01:36 PM
Ok here it goes, start as I mean to go on :) My new blog is up for this week so please check out my website!

I'm after any feedback and happily welcome the good and bad comments, to improve I need to hear the worst :) Ultimately my blogs are primarily aimed at the average home user so do let me know if you feel it won't make much sense.

Look forward to your responses :eek:

JRDtechnet
01-29-2010, 11:31 PM
I never have time to blog, always plan on it but I'm simply too busy. I'm curious how does having a front page blog affect your keywords? I noticed that there isn't much in the way of descriptive text on your business or location on the front page. Are you getting a lot of traffic from google and more importantly are they potential computers in your service area looking for computer repair or people are they random people stumbling upon your blog entry.

On the other hand though, having a front page blog will keep people coming back to read the site and keep you fresh in their minds.

If I get motivated enough to start blogging I would put the newest blog entry in a module on the front page and with a link to the blog page that way the newest blog shows on the front page without having to delete the other content since my site ranks quite high for a number of keywords

Oh, a quick suggestions, I'm assuming you get a lot of traffic from all over country so if I were you I would definitely promote your remote service on the front page.

BryanLee
01-31-2010, 02:57 AM
I blog from time to time. I have several "drafts" that I need to finish. I'm not prize winning writer, but I dont think i'm too bad. Feel free to check out my blog here (http://mobcompsolutions.com/articles/).

callthatgirl
01-31-2010, 06:15 AM
Hey Bryan, I would be interested in posting your "How to escape AOL" blog on my blog with of course credit and a back link.

Interested?

I think my users would be interested in that blog for sure!

JRD, I'm getting a new banner made with that reference, thanks for the tip! I really need to let folks know that better and up top.

I also just had "tag titles" added to my website so it doesn't matter what the blog says, the back end will get the google views correctly and how a user would try to find me.

Outlook crashed, won't open. So my tag title for my "Call That Girl's Guide to Outlook" will have in the back end "Outlook crashed" and "Outlook won't open".