PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on Cross Loop remote service

mbwalden
01-27-2010, 02:26 AM
Hello,

I'm just fishing, but I wanted to solicit some opinions about Cross Loop. Has anyone had good or bad experience using this tool?

No rush, I'll keep this thread open.

Thanks,
MB Walden

Alan22
01-27-2010, 02:59 AM
I have it installed on a few client systems. I don't do much remote access, so when we need to I remote in using crossloop. Sometimes we need to try a couple of times before it connects and I needed to tweak it on my end so it runs smoother. I've had 2-3 hour sessions without a disconnect. I have no real problems with it.

onetech4all
01-27-2010, 02:17 PM
Same for me. I install it on customers computers, have them create an account in case I need to remote desktop into it for minor tweaks or error messages.
It has served me well!

AllenHBlackburn
01-27-2010, 07:53 PM
After a service call, I install crossloop on every computer and put the icon in the documents folder. I let them know how this can help and it asures them that I'll be around if they need me. Many times I have handled a simple fix over the phone (remote support) and many times it has led me to another service call. I have found it not only to be a great tool but it'd free for now.

mbwalden
01-27-2010, 09:02 PM
Thanks for taking the time to respond. I truly appreciate your input.

Thanks again,
MB Walden (Walden PC Service - Sacramento,CA)

trendless
04-02-2011, 05:39 PM
It's not bad, but the install/connect procedure can be a little arcane for new users (having to skip creating an account, etc). And if they initiate it from the 'Share Screen' button on your Crossloop.com page, sometimes the auto setup/connect procedure just doesn't work and you have to get the pin number anyway. Nor does the reboot and reconnect always work properly. Also, doesn't work unless a user is logged in, so tools that can properly run as a service aren't fully replaced by Crossloop.

Once installed it's pretty simple and I do like the feature that (if it works) users can allow you access for a set amount of time and adjust/revoke it whenever they please; I haven't come across any other tools that would do this. You could setup some sort of workflow where the user registers a ticket with your helpdesk, hits the 'Share Screen' button, sets it for 24hrs and walks away. That way you can get to looking at it when it's convenient for you. If all the functionality worked all the time without error or issue, it would be amazingly useful.

All in all, it's pretty decent (especially for the price!), especially the ability for the user to control the availability of connection through adjusting the timeframe and the changing of the pin [just about] every time the program is run -- puts the concerned user's fears to rest about security etc. However, I'm still looking for something that's a little easier for the average user to initiate connection (less steps) and that could be used in a business environment.

Xander
04-02-2011, 07:25 PM
You've got opinions on the Crossloop software but wanted to give $.02CDN on the subscription: DON'T.

It's not worth it. I paid for a year and filled out all the profile and customized/branded the files that would show up on a customer's screen when they connected. BUT, even if someone downloads the program from my profile, until they connect to me, they don't see my branding.

I found the software itself adequate.

MobileTechie
04-02-2011, 07:32 PM
Am I right in thinking Crossloop is another rehashing of VNC?

trendless
04-02-2011, 07:51 PM
It leverages the VNC profile with a fancy custom UI and centralized connection service. Do most remote utilities not leverage implementations of VNC or similar? Not many of them write their own remote connection backend. No reason to reinvent the wheel.

trendless
04-02-2011, 07:53 PM
You've got opinions on the Crossloop software but wanted to give $.02CDN on the subscription: DON'T.

It's not worth it. I paid for a year and filled out all the profile and customized/branded the files that would show up on a customer's screen when they connected. BUT, even if someone downloads the program from my profile, until they connect to me, they don't see my branding.

I found the software itself adequate.

I like it for certain things (as is obvious in my first post). I don't run a remote support business, I run a brick & mortar store where remote support is something I use for convenience for my local customers. In that capacity it works as I described.

4ycr
04-02-2011, 08:23 PM
I also had the branded screen for a year but never renewed it either. I started to use touch my pc as it was a bit simpler to get connected to a customer but this has failed me a few times now as a few anti virus programs detect it as a threat. So I have went back to crossloop, it is not as fast a connection as teamviewer but works just as well and I also have had a couple of 2+ hour connections without it dropping.

Xander
04-02-2011, 11:43 PM
I also had the branded screen for a year but never renewed it either. I started to use touch my pc as it was a bit simpler to get connected to a customer but this has failed me a few times now as a few anti virus programs detect it as a threat. So I have went back to crossloop, it is not as fast a connection as teamviewer but works just as well and I also have had a couple of 2+ hour connections without it dropping.Can you remember which ones?

trendless
04-02-2011, 11:54 PM
...it is not as fast a connection as teamviewer...

I wondered if it was just me that felt this way. I've never done any test or benchmarks, but TV always felt much faster than any other solution. The only thing to come close is Radmin, which I've used for the past year at one client's location. I'm quite impressed with its speed as well, but since Radmin is direct connection through the firewall, that probably helps lower the overhead.

4ycr
04-04-2011, 09:24 AM
Can you remember which ones?

I am sure it was mcafee but another machine had kaspersky or norton as well.

It would download and ask to install but it stopped there and nothing happened at my end. When I used crossloop I checked the logs and found that it detected it as harmful and blocked it.

I wondered if it was just me that felt this way. I've never done any test or benchmarks, but TV always felt much faster than any other solution. The only thing to come close is Radmin, which I've used for the past year at one client's location. I'm quite impressed with its speed as well, but since Radmin is direct connection through the firewall, that probably helps lower the overhead.

I will take a look at Radmin, thanks

paul1149
09-06-2011, 02:28 AM
I just tried out CrossLoop. The session went well, but after I rebooted the remote machine and tried to reestablish the connection, I was subjected to a mandatory 30 minute time out. This would be a session-killer.

Xander
09-06-2011, 02:45 AM
I just tried out CrossLoop. The session went well, but after I rebooted the remote machine and tried to reestablish the connection, I was subjected to a mandatory 30 minute time out. This would be a session-killer.Definitely. If they prevented a -different- session for 30 minutes on a free version, fine. To prevent a tech from continuing a session after a reboot? Gone.

Give TouchMyPC a try. I'm using their 1-year trial. It's pretty good as far as being a single-file download and all that. The only major problem I've had with it is that, if the system has Kaspersky installed, I can't even touch its windows. When the one year is up, I probably won't buy in. It's subscription-based ($600/year) and I'll probably opt for a one-time-buy program.

trendless
09-06-2011, 07:46 PM
I just tried out CrossLoop. The session went well, but after I rebooted the remote machine and tried to reestablish the connection, I was subjected to a mandatory 30 minute time out. This would be a session-killer.

That's odd; I use it quite regularly and have never run into any mandatory timeouts. Usually if it doesn't reconnect automatically (which does unfortunately happen all too often), you just have to get the new code from the user on the other end and reconnect using that.

Has anyone tried the ScreenConnect that's being advertised on TN lately?

paul1149
09-06-2011, 11:07 PM
I just retried it, and this time no time out occurred. It really struck me as unworkable when it happened, and it definitely wasn't a server overload error.

This time, though, I could neither chat nor transfer files. The message was that the ultraVNC server wasn't configured for it. I thought I had tested that out yesterday, successfully. Not sure what's going on.

trendless
09-06-2011, 11:58 PM
I wish I could say it was the most dependable, rock-solid remote access program out there, but I can't. It's cheap. They have been adding a few useful features and ironing out bugs here and there over time. They seem to be aiming at a different segment than many of the other packages available tho', so there's definitely some missing features. I'm still looking for something affordable that will provide great functionality and a great experience for both the tech and the end-user... maybe someday ;)

paul1149
09-07-2011, 12:21 AM
My initial impression was positive, but after these two experiences I think that Mikigo is a better choice for basic, free functionality (though Mikigo is slated to go to pay for commercial use at some point). I just tried out TeamViewer, though, and wow it is excellent. Too bad there's no per-use rate scale, as with TechInLine - which probably is my next trial.

trendless
09-07-2011, 12:40 AM
TeamViewer is amazing; if they'd drop the price a bit, I'd be on that in a heartbeat. Never thought of using Mikigo, and never heard of TechInLine... gotta check that out.

I would *really* like a package that allowed supporting of iOS/Android/Blackberry devices, too.

JakeFromScreenConnect
09-08-2011, 03:35 PM
iOS and Android both limit the ability for any tool to connect and show the screen. Some of our competitors have provided limited connectivity to the file system and various other diagnostics, but in my opinion they are useless for the most part.

Look at their sites, and they claim to support it, but it's all very carefully worded. Yes, you can control the screen, if the carrier or manufacturer allows it. Well, guess what? No carriers or manufacturers currently allow it.

With some tools you can support devices that are jailbroken or rooted. But how many of your customers have rooted their phones?

We'd love to add support for this, but for now our hands are tied.

trendless
09-08-2011, 05:03 PM
That is ... unfortunate.