PDA

View Full Version : A little help please

EMACHINE
10-04-2007, 11:58 AM
Okay guys, I am new here so take it easy on me. I have an emachine T4020 that quit working a few days ago. It basically would not turn on and then a burning smell came from I am assuming the power supply. I took it to a shop and they checked the power supply and confirmed it was bad. I replaced it and still nothing. I talked to the again and they suggested I take out the modem and try it again. Still nothing. Also told me to remove memory cards and try it. They said if I hear a series of beeps at start up, then the MOBO is still good. Still nothing. I am lost!! Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
One addition. The CPU fan is not running, but when I turn off the power supply it spins like a 1/4 turn?

gunslinger
10-04-2007, 02:13 PM
It sounds like to me when your power supply went it took the MOBO with it.

thecoldone06
10-04-2007, 03:02 PM
It sounds like to me when your power supply went it took the MOBO with it.

I agree with gunslinger. If your PSU sent a charge to the MOBO that it couldn't handle then it would fry the MOBO. I'd get your MOBO checked as well.

EMACHINE
10-04-2007, 03:10 PM
Is there a way for me to check it or do I need special tools?

thecoldone06
10-04-2007, 03:37 PM
You could probably take it to the place that tested your PSU. Otherwise if you have all the parts you know to be working, you could connect those to the MOBO in question and see if you get the same result.

Blues
10-04-2007, 03:52 PM
You could inspect the mobo and look for anything that looks like damage from over heating or an electrical surge.

Bryce W
10-04-2007, 04:01 PM
I agree with gunslinger. If your PSU sent a charge to the MOBO that it couldn't handle then it would fry the MOBO. I'd get your MOBO checked as well.
I third that. Definitely sounds like the PSU blew and took the motherboard with it. I come across similar circumstances often.

EMACHINE
10-04-2007, 05:10 PM
Thanks for all the help.:) Am I right to assume that a MOBO replacement would probably mean, due to the age and speed of the machine, that I would be better off with a new unit all together? Not sure of the cost involved.

Blues
10-04-2007, 07:32 PM
You could likely find the machine on ebay for cheap might could even find just the board or the twoer with board and CPU. I would say a new system would start at $400 for anything mildly decent and if you can find the parts on ebay you can probly pay under $200.

rurbaniak
10-05-2007, 01:07 AM
Yup, PS took out MOBO, very very common.