PDA

View Full Version : Vista Should i upgrade to it ?

Andyuk2007
10-04-2007, 12:26 AM
Hi all, I've been thinking for sometime now to upgrade to vista on a permenent basis, I tried it for a while but soon went back to xp because at the time not alot of stuff worked for my computer. About a month ago i upgraded my computer to a really powerful system (built it myself) and now i'm thinking of going back to it as some of my customers have it and it would be handy to be more familiar with the operating system to fix problems.

what do you think ?

gunslinger
10-04-2007, 02:39 AM
I did the same thing. My advice is if you don't have to upgrade, don't. Seeing that you work on computers I would say you could do what I did: install vista as my OS and run xp on a virtual machine, that way you don't lose your programs. Or do It the other way around.

focuz
10-05-2007, 01:30 AM
The unfortunately downside to being a technician. You are forced to change with the new technology so that we are familiar with it when it breaks. HEHE

greggh
10-05-2007, 03:11 PM
The unfortunately downside to being a technician. You are forced to change with the new technology so that we are familiar with it when it breaks. HEHE

That is the only reason I have a vista computer here at the office (off the the side of my real computer.) So I could get used to the piece of crap. I personally hate vista. It is god awful.

thecoldone06
10-05-2007, 04:01 PM
That is the only reason I have a vista computer here at the office (off the the side of my real computer.) So I could get used to the piece of crap. I personally hate vista. It is god awful.

I also have it at work. Testing it before we update all of our users. (which won't be for a very long time.) When it takes 10 minutes to move a 3mb file...you have problems. I don't see how MS could have messed that up but it takes longer to calculate the time its going to take to transfer than it does to actually transfer. Sometimes it hangs and doesn't transfer at all! You win some you lose some I suppose.

Blues
10-05-2007, 04:33 PM
I have worked on about 3 Vista machines and am thinking of getting Vista for myself. I think I may get Home Premium, Business, or Ultimate as I will try it out on my HTPC first with dual boot setup so I can run XP Media Center if something isn't working.

gunslinger
10-05-2007, 07:11 PM
I have worked on about 3 Vista machines and am thinking of getting Vista for myself. I think I may get Home Premium, Business, or Ultimate as I will try it out on my HTPC first with dual boot setup so I can run XP Media Center if something isn't working.

My advice having started with home premium and then gone to Ultimate is to stay away from the 64 bit altogether. Oh and there is nothing "Ultimate" about the Ultimate version.

Andyuk2007
10-09-2007, 12:21 PM
I've made a decision and i will be upgrading to vista simply because i need to learn a new operating system as a few systems ive been called out too have windows vista. besides my computer has all updated hardware thats vista friendly :)

But first i need to get a new sound card as vista cant find a driver for my aging creative soundblaster 16 card :p so ive found one on ebuyer

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/98938

I only hope its vista compatible as it doesnt say

The Goatboy
10-09-2007, 07:45 PM
I know a lot of businesses (and probably not so much consumers) are waiting for SP1 to be released before making the jump. I used it on my main PC at home for several months, then pretty much just gave up. I don't think I've touched it since Spring; I work for a MS partner, and we don't even use it at work. A coworker just became the first one to get it and that was only 2 weeks ago and it was because it came pre-loaded on a new laptop. MS just released a statement a week or so ago that they have extended support and sales of XP for another 6 months; I think that clearly states the market of XP vs Vista.

Vitiated
10-10-2007, 12:58 AM
If this is a repost, I apologise! http://www.bbspot.com/News/2007/09/microsoft-reveals-windows-vista-sp1-will-install-xp.html

dipper
10-12-2007, 03:04 AM
As another poster replied - being a tech means you ahve to have at least one system with Vista.

If you don't how then:
- can you recommend or not recommend it to clients
- provide support for it if you haven't used it before.

Here we have used Vista Ultimate and also RC1 on a laptop for nearly 1 year now. This way we know how to use it.

Andyuk2007
10-12-2007, 11:40 AM
Hey All, i'm now on vista and its pretty good actually all my equipment works with it including my printer. I did buy a new zyxel router and i even got a free network usb adaptor for when i get my laptop i can go wireless :p

So far everything is fine with vista its not slow as i would had thought it might be

JJsMom
10-13-2007, 09:33 PM
I just purchased Vista. My thoughts are that since I am slowly breaking into the PC Repair business I had better get started on Vista.

Simmy
10-13-2007, 10:02 PM
I've managed to avoid using vista on my own computer. I've never had a problem finding my way around it when working on a customers computer either. Plus I'm still a big fan of Windows XP :D

Blues
10-14-2007, 02:02 AM
I don't have Vista and have worked on a few and ultimately I don't think you need to have it. I think it is good to have and would like to have it for this reason but I will not be dropping the money on it all yet.

Andyuk2007
10-15-2007, 09:36 AM
I've managed to avoid using vista on my own computer. I've never had a problem finding my way around it when working on a customers computer either. Plus I'm still a big fan of Windows XP :D

lol, Yeah i still like xp but i have to become familular with windows vista and the only way i can do that is to install it on my own pc. Although i do have the start menu set i used too on xp, Actually since i did that and showed the setting on some customer's laptop she is very happy the way i set it :D

camp.cool007
01-02-2009, 03:10 AM
NO DONT! Vista is aweful, slow, the file setup is confusing, and it is more for play then work.

abe
01-02-2009, 04:17 AM
YES do vista is amazing

bigdippin
01-02-2009, 08:08 AM
Wow, this thread came back from the dead. I'm still on the fence about vista. Its pretty but I sure love XP.