PDA

View Full Version : Scenario: customers needs windows reinstalling but.....

Andyuk2007
10-02-2007, 06:45 PM
Hi all

first of all let me just say how great these forums are for pc repair guys like myself, they enable us to share info e.t.c. now to my problem

Imagine this scenario, A customer needs an operating system reinstalling after a major problem that i am unable to fix he has the windows licence key but he cant find the disk. so he asks me if i have a windows disk i can use to install windows on but i enter his licence key so i dont break any laws

Now where do i get the type of disks that engineers use because i'm sure they exist, the type that has all the valid keys windows xp,98,me e.t.c keys on them ?

its all i need to complete my kit

now when i worked in a computer shop they had disks with all the licences on them i'm assuming there not illegal of course. i did contact windows partner program about this but a guy said that no disks exist and that it was up to the consumer to ensure they keep there windows disk in a very safe place, should they need to do a format and reinstall.

I hope you can give me some insight on this :)

thanks all

Blues
10-02-2007, 07:56 PM
I believe someone here listed in thier kit where or how they got thier disc and no they are not illegal. I think you just got a dick rep when you called or you have to be a different level partner or you may not be a partner yet which would be why he was a dick. I don't think MS offers anything pre XP anymore in this kit so older OS your best bet is to go find a "pirate" copy online and use it.

Andyuk2007
10-02-2007, 08:39 PM
I believe someone here listed in thier kit where or how they got thier disc and no they are not illegal. I think you just got a dick rep when you called or you have to be a different level partner or you may not be a partner yet which would be why he was a dick. I don't think MS offers anything pre XP anymore in this kit so older OS your best bet is to go find a "pirate" copy online and use it.

when i did speak to microsoft partner i was passed on to a senior who did explain to me about what i was after.

I only want the latest operating systems like xp or vista as most of my customers dont run 98 so thats not a problem i just dunno where to go from here.

Any ideas ?

focuz
10-03-2007, 06:09 AM
Basically your looking for an OEM disc. You officially have to be a partner with Microsoft in order to get them.

Bryce W
10-03-2007, 09:55 AM
I think this is the link you need, but im not sure. Can anyone confirm?
http://www.microsoft.com/oem/programinformation.mspx

Andyuk2007
10-03-2007, 10:17 AM
thanks for the link but i'm having problems finding where i sign up for the thing again. i cant even find where to edit the damn profile information so its changed to the oem thing

greggh
10-03-2007, 04:18 PM
You dont have to be a partner really. You can get OEM discs from any local vender that builds enough systems (shops that put out 20 or so systems a day.)

The bigger problem is that a generic OEM disc only takes keys made specifically for those generic OEM discs. They wont take HP, Dell, Gateway, and others keys. In order to install on those systems using those keys you need those discs. There are a few ways to get those discs:

1. Reclaim each set of discs from machines that are dead that customers are going to throw away. This gets you some, but it takes awhile.

2. Find people you know who have the actual systems from those vendors and have them call up and order replacement operating system discs for their computer. These days that usually costs money. You would of course have to pay for them.

3. Use a service like http://www.restoredisks.com and order a lot of the various discs they have. Its an investment...

4. Last but not least, use one of the generic OEM discs and use the OEMBios and OEMScan projects to build a universal one. This Link (http://www.msfn.org/board/OEMScan_Automated_Multi_Manufacture_Pr_t82638.html ) takes you to the forum thread talking all about it. In that thread you should learn a lot about how all of that works. The very basic pieces of it are this: the oembios.* files in your windows directories are what make the oem versions different (and thats pretty much it.) So replacing those during install with the proper ones for your system will make it take the key and work on that computer. They have developed a system that will do just that.

In addition to the link posted in #4, here is another link to a subforum on siginet that is completely about this stuff: http://siginetsoftware.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14

Andyuk2007
10-03-2007, 05:36 PM
You dont have to be a partner really. You can get OEM discs from any local vender that builds enough systems (shops that put out 20 or so systems a day.)

The bigger problem is that a generic OEM disc only takes keys made specifically for those generic OEM discs. They wont take HP, Dell, Gateway, and others keys. In order to install on those systems using those keys you need those discs. There are a few ways to get those discs:

1. Reclaim each set of discs from machines that are dead that customers are going to throw away. This gets you some, but it takes awhile.

2. Find people you know who have the actual systems from those vendors and have them call up and order replacement operating system discs for their computer. These days that usually costs money. You would of course have to pay for them.

3. Use a service like http://www.restoredisks.com and order a lot of the various discs they have. Its an investment...

4. Last but not least, use one of the generic OEM discs and use the OEMBios and OEMScan projects to build a universal one. This Link (http://www.msfn.org/board/OEMScan_Automated_Multi_Manufacture_Pr_t82638.html ) takes you to the forum thread talking all about it. In that thread you should learn a lot about how all of that works. The very basic pieces of it are this: the oembios.* files in your windows directories are what make the oem versions different (and thats pretty much it.) So replacing those during install with the proper ones for your system will make it take the key and work on that computer. They have developed a system that will do just that.

In addition to the link posted in #4, here is another link to a subforum on siginet that is completely about this stuff: http://siginetsoftware.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14

thanks for that but so far ive not come accross anyone that has spare oem disks and also ive been lucky that none of my customers pc's have needed a reinstall but the day may come. However i will have a read later on :)

Is this how you got your disks gregg ?

iladelf
10-03-2007, 06:21 PM
What I've seen has been different than gregg, but I have yet to have an issue with any OEM manufacturer (HP, Dell, Gateway, etc.) when I've used my OEM XP install disk.

Only thing that happens (and this seems random) is sometimes you have to activate the OS via telephone. No biggy; just tell 'em you had to reinstall Windows, and MS will give you the activation code to enter which activates the copy of XP. This is, of course, as long as you're using the Product Key on the side of the computer.

Bottom line: buy an OEM copy of XP (Home at least, then Pro if you need it).

Blues
10-03-2007, 08:39 PM
I have used a different OS disc, same manufacture but different model and year. I installed the OS no problems but when it got into windows it told me invalid key and was would be have to be activated with a valid key in 30 days. All I did was install the NIC drivers and put in the key off the side of the machine and it went online and validated the key with MS so I don't know if any these other discs will let you do that or not but if soo thats gunna be the best solution.

greggh
10-03-2007, 09:24 PM
What I've seen has been different than gregg, but I have yet to have an issue with any OEM manufacturer (HP, Dell, Gateway, etc.) when I've used my OEM XP install disk.

Only thing that happens (and this seems random) is sometimes you have to activate the OS via telephone. No biggy; just tell 'em you had to reinstall Windows, and MS will give you the activation code to enter which activates the copy of XP. This is, of course, as long as you're using the Product Key on the side of the computer.

Bottom line: buy an OEM copy of XP (Home at least, then Pro if you need it).

I have had this work in the past, but I have also had it not work. For the times when you are stuck with a generic disc and an oem manufacturer key that wont work you need something better. Having a truely universal disc that also handles oem pre-activation is a great thing.

Andyuk2007
10-03-2007, 11:21 PM
I have used a different OS disc, same manufacture but different model and year. I installed the OS no problems but when it got into windows it told me invalid key and was would be have to be activated with a valid key in 30 days. All I did was install the NIC drivers and put in the key off the side of the machine and it went online and validated the key with MS so I don't know if any these other discs will let you do that or not but if soo thats gunna be the best solution.

I read about oem disks they only work on one machine and then thats it as there locked to that motherboard :(

focuz
10-04-2007, 12:20 AM
I read about oem disks they only work on one machine and then thats it as there locked to that motherboard :(

I have no idea where you got that from, but their is no way in the world for a cd to lock to a certain motherboard for a one time use situation.

It is possible that the installation requires a phone activation by microsoft which was already stated, but thats about it.

Andyuk2007
10-04-2007, 12:32 AM
of course if the customer already has there windows xp licence and i use an retail oem disk will that work with the customer's licence key ? or would i need to join the partner program for that.

i'm still a bit miffed on this :p

breadtrk
10-05-2007, 04:49 PM
https://buynow.one.microsoft.com/rssc/homePage.aspx?tabid=0&storeid=7F763A47-2EF5-4013-89EF-A88E2D3E26CB&localeid=en-us

About $350.00 and get legal copies of all the software you will ever need.

Andyuk2007
10-06-2007, 09:51 PM
oh thanks for that i'll check them out :) are they the type that will deal with my above postings ?

tkrabec
10-07-2007, 01:45 AM
No. While the technet CD's are great, the will not solve all the problems. I have been collecting copies of disks to allow me to re-install OS's. It has been a slow process. I generally run into a person who has a laptop or desktop but lost the disks for the OS. I will re-install any OS where I find a valid key code on the machine, I will not install a copy of Office or another program where I do not have the license information. My philosophy is If there is a key code stuck to the machine I will find the proper disk, for that key code. Where there is no key code I will not install the OS or program.

Andyuk2007
10-07-2007, 11:32 AM
No. While the technet CD's are great, the will not solve all the problems. I have been collecting copies of disks to allow me to re-install OS's. It has been a slow process. I generally run into a person who has a laptop or desktop but lost the disks for the OS. I will re-install any OS where I find a valid key code on the machine, I will not install a copy of Office or another program where I do not have the license information. My philosophy is If there is a key code stuck to the machine I will find the proper disk, for that key code. Where there is no key code I will not install the OS or program.

Thats sort of the problem i have except i dont have the disks, if a customer's pc was so bad that it needed a reformat and i could find a valid key on there machine then i would be happy to reinstall.

so these disks dont contain all valid keys for us engineers then ?

tkrabec
10-07-2007, 05:32 PM
The problem I have found is that a Toshiba laptop with Toshiba sticker needs the Toshiba disk to have the key be valid, same for an HP, & IBM. I have been collecting these as they are available

breadtrk
10-07-2007, 07:52 PM
You can find most any OEM restore disk on the file sharing circut. As long as they have legal keys in hand I'll use them. Otherwise I sell them a new OS from wherever I can get the best price and make a few bucks.

I have never had any trouble installing a generic XP disk on any make of PC though. They just don't have all the OEM bloat and I'm sure they don't miss that. Sometime you have to take the 10 minutes to call MS for activation but have never had any trouble with that either.

greggh
10-08-2007, 04:12 PM
You can find most any OEM restore disk on the file sharing circut. As long as they have legal keys in hand I'll use them. Otherwise I sell them a new OS from wherever I can get the best price and make a few bucks.

I have never had any trouble installing a generic XP disk on any make of PC though. They just don't have all the OEM bloat and I'm sure they don't miss that. Sometime you have to take the 10 minutes to call MS for activation but have never had any trouble with that either.

I will state it again just because I think people might have missed it. You can make a relatively universal OEM disc using the tools I mentioned above. oemscan and the oembios files with SLP keys that are used during install and replaced by the customers keys after install with a script.

It isn't that complex.