PDA

View Full Version : What to do when the customer leaves you with their unit?

jsmith773
09-30-2007, 09:49 PM
I have a customer who left their Apple 24 inch I mac it has only been 2 months but they can come pick it up. The number does not work and they did not leave an address. What would you do?

Jason
09-30-2007, 10:12 PM
Before I was laid off at the company I used to work for, we had a clause in our work order which stated that we assume ownership of property left after 30 days, but I've held on to items for longer at no additional charge because customers couldn't pay for the service.

The question is, how long must you legally wait before you automatically assume ownership? I would charge some sort of premium for storing the equipment, and look into your laws to create a policy.

jsmith773
09-30-2007, 11:24 PM
Hey Thanks I really appreciate the feedback I will do exactly that.

Bryce W
10-01-2007, 05:26 AM
Ive seen such clauses before. Definitely write into your work orders a storage charge after X amount of days, and after X amount of months you legally assume ownership of the machine.
Im not 100% how legal it is to do this, but Ive seen plenty of stores doing it.

Blues
10-01-2007, 04:28 PM
I believe in some areas legally regardless of any contract if it remains in your posession with out being claimed it legally becomes yours. The main purpose behind the clause is to end the debate sooner if they come for thier stuff 2 years later. I would be suspicous of high value items that end up just left with me.

cmonova
10-01-2007, 06:36 PM
Obviously in the future make sure you have all their contact details, address, phone number(s), etc.
Plus, on your work order form make sure you have a statement about picking up within 30 days. After that 30 days you need to send a certified letter giving them anothing 10 days or so to contact you or pick up. After that it's yours.

As far as the Mac I would use it for my own use until the day they arrive to pick it up.

mdshann
03-07-2008, 11:01 PM
Section 1333.41 of the Ohio Revised Code says basically what cmonova just stated. You need to send a certified and notarized letter to the customer giving them an additional 10 days to pay for and retrieve their property. If they do not get in touch with you in those 10 days it is yours. I know the section because we have it posted on the wall at the shop I work at :D