PDA

View Full Version : How does Vonage VoIP Work with a network?

jsmith773
09-30-2007, 10:43 PM
I have a client who need to set up a network. He want to me to put cat 5 jacks in all the rooms in his home, he wants to be able to plug his computer anywhere and get on the internet. He also has a vonage phone service he wants to be able to plug his phones anywhere and still be able to use them? I'm not very familiar with vonage or VOIP for that matter how does it work and is it possible to do this? I have not install the cat 5 jacks yet or put in any hardware. He also want to run two cameras on his network and save it to his server (that I have to setup). I heard vonage takes up a lot of bandwith. He has comcast cable/internet. How will these things effect each other;Cameras, Voip and Network? Is it possible? let me know what you think
Thanks a lot.

rurbaniak
10-01-2007, 08:03 PM
I have a client who need to set up a network. He want to me to put cat 5 jacks in all the rooms in his home, he wants to be able to plug his computer anywhere and get on the internet. He also has a vonage phone service he wants to be able to plug his phones anywhere and still be able to use them? I'm not very familiar with vonage or VOIP for that matter how does it work and is it possible to do this? I have not install the cat 5 jacks yet or put in any hardware. He also want to run two cameras on his network and save it to his server (that I have to setup). I heard vonage takes up a lot of bandwith. He has comcast cable/internet. How will these things effect each other;Cameras, Voip and Network? Is it possible? let me know what you think
Thanks a lot.

I use vonage at home, and also have Comcast. Works great, no problems, and shouldn't be a problem to hook up. When you first get the unit, it just plugs into your exisiting router, and goto the vonage website to activate. It's pretty simple. My vonage phones consist of a BASE Unit that plugs in to the router, or switch, and then has wireless phones for it. So Once the base is installed, there should be no reason to move it. The wireless phones go anywhere you have a power outlet for the charging base.

As for bandwidth, I do notice the bit of bad quality when I'm streaming something over the network. And what I mean by that is I use Orb.com which allows to connect to your PC at home and stream live tv, and mp3's. My wife call me from home at the same time I was streaming a hdtv signal. The phone conversation was a little choppy. Once I stopped the streaming it was good. So maybe you may have an issue with the Video Cams? They may have to goto a higher package that Comcast has if it seems to be a problem..

Hope that helps.