PDA

View Full Version : Google Ad Words

bagellad
01-16-2010, 05:33 AM
Just got some "free" $100 credit in the mail.

Has anyone used google ad words for success in their business?

Any tips or tricks?

PCSupportGlasgow
01-16-2010, 09:50 AM
never used it for advertizing but have an account as its good for finding the most popular keywords

bagellad
01-17-2010, 02:27 AM
How do you do that? Then I assume you reflect it on your website some how?

ComputerClinic
01-17-2010, 02:32 AM
I think its a good way to advertise. When you search "computer repair bozeman mt", my website is listed 3 times on the first page. Once for adwords, once for local business results, and once for organic results. That extra listing cant hurt. It costs me about $1 per click so I would say go for it.

callthatgirl
01-17-2010, 03:29 AM
Ok, I created a Google campaign once and messed it up. I still have $22 in the account and don't know how to do it. Here are my stats though, with no money in Google, it still counts as #3 on my website analytics!

Current stats for the month

(direct) ((none)) 480 32.43%
linkedin.com (referral) 310 20.95%
google (organic) 244 16.49%
technibble.com (referral) 113 7.64%
facebook.com (referral) 62 4.19%

And NOPE, not one client in the past year says that they found me on Google, I track like a mofo.

callthatgirl
01-17-2010, 03:34 AM
oopsies. Double posties.

trapped
01-17-2010, 04:14 PM
I get the majority of my new clients through Google. Most of those are through my adwords campaigns. I get about 1-3 service calls a day where the customer clicked on one of my ads.

MrUnknown
01-17-2010, 07:25 PM
someone needs to post their keywords list or it may be location dependant. I don't think I have gotten anything from my AdWords. People say they seen me on Google, but it is hard to tell if they clicked on the Ad or in the organic results.

trapped
01-17-2010, 09:36 PM
Here are my top performers for the week, sorry about the messed up formatting.

Keyword Clicks Impressions CTR
geek squad 22 373 5.90%
pc repair 4 466 0.86%
geek 3 408 0.74%
sacramento computer repair 3 153 1.96%
computer technicians 2 50 4.00%
custom computers 2 57 3.51%
computer memories 1 42 2.38%
computer repair software 1 5 20.00%
computer services 1 39 2.56%
computers troubleshooting 1 13 7.69%

callthatgirl
01-17-2010, 11:24 PM
Trapped, how much do you pay to be a sponsored link?

curious...I found you right away on Google at the top.

trapped
01-18-2010, 02:17 AM
I spend about $20 a day on my campaigns. I usually get at least a 5-10 x return on that investment.

MrUnknown
01-18-2010, 07:23 AM
trapped, I have similar keywords so I guess I am not far off, but I have spend $50 or so in AdWords targeted to my area. Very targeted, that $50 lasted me a year.

I have Google Analytics but most of the search terms my site is found under show both paid ad links and an organic result, so I have no clue which one they clicked.

I guess for the cost, it isn't bad having my link 3 times in a search result page for the person to click on.

trapped
01-18-2010, 07:49 AM
I use specific landing pages for my ads so I can try to track the clicks.

I had seven clicks yesterday (Sunday) which cost me $15. I got one call from those clicks and made $60.

MrUnknown
01-18-2010, 08:37 AM
Yeah, I guess I need to rework my strategy.

PCSupportGlasgow
01-18-2010, 01:09 PM
How do you do that? Then I assume you reflect it on your website some how?

By looking at the priced for the keywords you can have educated guesses as the most used keywords for google in your area, afterall they are not going to offer the most searched and desirable ones at the lowest prices they are a business first and foremost.

From there it a matter of making sure your site SEO reflects those keywords as better rankings in them obviously going to drive you more traffic.

SThompson86
05-17-2010, 02:36 AM
I launched by Google Ad words this weekend, and I have not gotten a single click. My keywords are getting good "impressions" but no clicks.

I didnt realize that the Adwords ended up in those Google Sponsored links at the top of a search, I always tell people people I know to never click those spam looking sponsored adds. Nonetheless, I am out there, and it looks like its going to be a cheap way to be on top of a search since I am not having to pay for any clicks LOL.

IAMPC
05-17-2010, 03:46 AM
Google Adwords can be extremely effective if you know what you are doing. I get most of my new customers through Adwords. It takes a lot of work and research to get things right but once you get it right, it will pay off very well.

I learned about Adwords when I was working for my uncle, building and selling video security systems. That was about six years ego. Today he spends about $1000 a day.

There are companies out there the spend hundreds of thousands of dollars a day on Adwords and they get great ROI.

If you are using Adwords but not getting clicks, most likely either your position is too low or your ad doesn't grab anyone's attention. The whole key is to grab the attention of your potential customer in those three lines. There are other factors why your ads maybe not showing on the first page but it takes too long to write about them here.

Google Adwords does not look at who spends the most money on a certain keyword and then move them up on top of the list. They look at how many clicks a particular advertiser's ad gets. Based on popularity and your cost per click and some other factors, they will move you up the list over time.

So if I tell Adwords that I'm willing to pay $5 per click on "dallas computer repair" and the next guy spends only $2 for the same exact keyword, but his ad is more attention grabbing and people clicks on him more, his position will be much higher than mine because Adwords likes that, Why? because over time, Google will make much more money off of him than me since he gets a lot more click than me.

I have also learned that the use of negative keywords is very very important. Read more about them here (http://adwords.google.com/support/aw/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=63235).

Computer and Laptop Repairs (http://www.dfwpcrepairs.com)

SThompson86
05-17-2010, 04:09 AM
Ile give it a week before I start doing some changes. My keywords are excellent for my area, every time I randomly search PC repair ect ect and ect I am pretty much on top.

If I make a change it will be my add, I may change my main headline from my business name to something like "Pearl,Ms Computer Repair" That way it looks a bit less spammish like the rest of the links.

I honestly think it has alot to do with my area. The area I live in is not really a "search online" kind of area. The actual brick and mortar pc shops here do not even have web pages.

I think I am going to get more business from my door hanger and parking lot card dropping campaigns coming up.

IAMPC
05-17-2010, 04:38 AM
Ile give it a week before I start doing some changes. My keywords are excellent for my area, every time I randomly search PC repair ect ect and ect I am pretty much on top.

If I make a change it will be my add, I may change my main headline from my business name to something like "Pearl,Ms Computer Repair" That way it looks a bit less spammish like the rest of the links.

I honestly think it has alot to do with my area. The area I live in is not really a "search online" kind of area. The actual brick and mortar pc shops here do not even have web pages.

I think I am going to get more business from my door hanger and parking lot card dropping campaigns coming up.

I just looked at your site. Why do you have so many images rather than actual content on your home page? I know where you got your site templates from but if you can edit your site and put good content in it, you can gain a lot from it. Putting images rather than actual content is not good for search engine ranking. If you are living in a small town and if you work on your organic SEO and target your area, you can come up pretty fast on organic search. Just a suggestion. :)

SThompson86
05-17-2010, 06:17 PM
I just looked at your site. Why do you have so many images rather than actual content on your home page?

lol well that is the Techsitebuilder package from Podnutz. My web dev skillz are non existent, soo this was a good thing for me. But yea, I am going to convert some things to HTML once I figure out what the heck I am doing in dreamweaver.. LOL

IAMPC
05-18-2010, 03:19 AM
lol well that is the Techsitebuilder package from Podnutz. My web dev skillz are non existent, soo this was a good thing for me. But yea, I am going to convert some things to HTML once I figure out what the heck I am doing in dreamweaver.. LOL

Look into Yahoo Small Business solutions and "Yahoo SiteBuilder".

Yahoo Small Business Solutions (http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/)

SiteBuilder (http://webhosting.yahoo.com/ps/sb/index.php)

Keep in mind that Yahoo customer service sucks but this service is great...

krash2k
05-19-2010, 08:15 PM
I spend about $20 a day on my campaigns. I usually get at least a 5-10 x return on that investment.

I would really like to know how your making adwords work for you. I have an adwords account that has been active for over a year and it's still almost fully funded.

I do have the target market set within 50 miles of a city so only thing I can guess is that there just are not enough local searches for the keywords on the account.

Are you open to sharing your landing pages or any suggestions for us?

trapped
05-20-2010, 02:10 AM
Business has been pretty slow lately from Adwords so I'm not sure that I could help. Since it has been slow I have been playing around with my budget and bids trying to see where I can get the most number of calls for the lowest cost. Most of the calls I get are for my "laptop repair" campaign which mostly consists of screen replacements. In my experience it is mostly trial and error to find what works for your business in your area.

dmurphy315
05-21-2010, 02:07 AM
Been using adwords for a while:

- make your yourself a good long list of "negative" keywords to enter in each campaign. "negative" keywords prevent your sponsered ad with google from being shown in adwords. for example if you don work on apple computers:

apple, mac, macbook, macintosh, ibook, etc etc etc

i get many calls on power cords for laptop, which i don not have or supply, can order, but don't have any to sell on hand... negative keywords >

power cord, cord, charger, adaptor, adapter .... etc

i fix laptop screens only, NOT tv or iphones etc.. negative keywords:
plasma, hdtv, tv, television, vizio, iphone, cell phone, cell phones, nokia, LG, android, 36", 42", 52" etc etc .....

for example if someone searches "laptop power cord replacement repair"
my sponsered ad will not be shown,, my organic ad might be there, but that ok.

"sony plasma lcd screen repair" my ads are not shown (negative keyword is plasma)

I'm sure you get the idea................

you don't want your ad being shown not just because you don't provide the service and you don't want a possible "click" charge,, BUT google once again looks at "relevancy". the more clicks with less impressions = "high click thru rate" with google, which tells google your ads are relevant, which is a GOOD thing! The "higher click thru rate" sometimes means a lower actual "click" charge. "Quality Score" is what google calls it.

some of my campaigns have 300-500 negative keywords

you can find negative keywords by just performing a regular google search for example on "computer".. and see what google suggests, or thru the results OR using googles keywords suggestion tool in the adwords campaign

- you can target your adwords campaign locally if just local, so your campaign won't ads will not be shown in areas, states or different country's.

- make your keywords relevant to your landing page per ad copy. make sure the main keyword id in the title, google looks at relevancy REALLY good!

- make sure your "ad copy" is relevant to your business and landing page.

- look at other sponsered listings on your particular keyword and search, and try to make your ad stand out over the others example: "Affordable, 15% Discount, Quality, etc and mention your state city (if just local)

- 3 types of keyword matching:
broad, phrase and exact
be careful with "broad" matching (negative keywords HERE are especially important!)

Phrase matching:
"laptop lcd screen repair" - matches this exact phrase in the search
if someone searches - sony vaio laptop lcd screen repair , my ad is shown.

Exact matching:
matches the exact term - [laptop repair]

use "phrase" and "exact" matching, (watch out on the broad matching)
and make many different combinations, plurals and even mis-spellings

laptop repair, repair laptop, repair laptops, laptop repairs, laptop repaired,
lap top repair, lap top repairs, laptoprepair, ...............

you need to check this google adwords daily, sometimes i re-adjust hourly on some keywords,, it is definitely NOT a set and forget process.

;)

http://www.augustapcrepair.com

dmurphy315
05-21-2010, 02:17 AM
Google Keyword Tools:

https://adwords.google.com.au/select/KeywordToolExternal
(not sure if this opens in firefox, try chrome or IE)

http://www.google.com/sktool/#

Googles "Wonder Wheel":
http://www.google.com/search?q=computer+repair&hl=en&prmd=mi&source=lnt&tbs=ww:1&ei=--v1S7rxHYK0lQey49i_Cg&sa=X&oi=tool&resnum=2&ct=tlink&ved=0CBsQpwU

using these tools keyword suggestions for "computer repair",, you see anything is these suggested results that does not pertain to what you do, or repair, etc........ open notepad or something and add that term(s) for your negative keyword list for your adwords campaign

www.AugustaPcRepair.com

Cambridge PC Support
05-21-2010, 07:00 AM
useful info, thanks dm

Been using adwords for a while:

- make your yourself a good long list of "negative" keywords to enter in each campaign. "negative" keywords prevent your sponsered ad with google from being shown in adwords. for example if you don work on apple computers:

apple, mac, macbook, macintosh, ibook, etc etc etc

i get many calls on power cords for laptop, which i don not have or supply, can order, but don't have any to sell on hand... negative keywords >

power cord, cord, charger, adaptor, adapter .... etc

i fix laptop screens only, NOT tv or iphones etc.. negative keywords:
plasma, hdtv, tv, television, vizio, iphone, cell phone, cell phones, nokia, LG, android, 36", 42", 52" etc etc .....

for example if someone searches "laptop power cord replacement repair"
my sponsered ad will not be shown,, my organic ad might be there, but that ok.

"sony plasma lcd screen repair" my ads are not shown (negative keyword is plasma)

I'm sure you get the idea................

you don't want your ad being shown not just because you don't provide the service and you don't want a possible "click" charge,, BUT google once again looks at "relevancy". the more clicks with less impressions = "high click thru rate" with google, which tells google your ads are relevant, which is a GOOD thing! The "higher click thru rate" sometimes means a lower actual "click" charge. "Quality Score" is what google calls it.

some of my campaigns have 300-500 negative keywords

you can find negative keywords by just performing a regular google search for example on "computer".. and see what google suggests, or thru the results OR using googles keywords suggestion tool in the adwords campaign

- you can target your adwords campaign locally if just local, so your campaign won't ads will not be shown in areas, states or different country's.

- make your keywords relevant to your landing page per ad copy. make sure the main keyword id in the title, google looks at relevancy REALLY good!

- make sure your "ad copy" is relevant to your business and landing page.

- look at other sponsered listings on your particular keyword and search, and try to make your ad stand out over the others example: "Affordable, 15% Discount, Quality, etc and mention your state city (if just local)

- 3 types of keyword matching:
broad, phrase and exact
be careful with "broad" matching (negative keywords HERE are especially important!)

Phrase matching:
"laptop lcd screen repair" - matches this exact phrase in the search
if someone searches - sony vaio laptop lcd screen repair , my ad is shown.

Exact matching:
matches the exact term - [laptop repair]

use "phrase" and "exact" matching, (watch out on the broad matching)
and make many different combinations, plurals and even mis-spellings

laptop repair, repair laptop, repair laptops, laptop repairs, laptop repaired,
lap top repair, lap top repairs, laptoprepair, ...............

you need to check this google adwords daily, sometimes i re-adjust hourly on some keywords,, it is definitely NOT a set and forget process.

;)

http://www.augustapcrepair.com

Graystar
05-21-2010, 07:31 AM
+2 for dmurphy315
new tools I had not seen. This SEO stuff is like Voodoo to me.
I have been using a PPC service and I have to learn this aspect of advertising and not have to rely on a service that I no longer think is looking out for my best interest.
Thanks again

dmurphy315
05-21-2010, 10:35 AM
no expert by far on SEO, but have been running adwords for over a year now, and constantly learning.

Negative keywords in your adwords campaign IS REAL important.

for example, type "laptop repair" in google search and look what "pops down" in the search "suggestion" in google search as you type:

look thru out the search results on the first 2-3 pages, anything that you don't provide, add it to the negative keywords in adwords. once you do this a few times, you'll get the idea.

Googles pop down "top keyword" suggestions:
laptop repair parts
laptop repair manuals
laptop repair manual
laptop repair forum
laptop repair forums
laptop repair guide
laptop repair video
laptop repair videos

"parts, manuals, manual, guide, guides, video, videos, forum, forums, driver, drivers" etc are negative keywords in my laptop repair campaign with adwords. ad is not shown with any of those negative words are in there search query

use the keywords tools to make your list of good keywords & negative keywords. and check and use these keyword tools often, the keywords will change with google keyword tool reports,, weekly monthly.

Sometimes it takes revising and building your "landing page" around the main set of keywords. (googles relevancy & quality score) Putting the main set of keywords in the title or header of your webpage also helps with google search in general AND with adwords.

and on that landing page you assign in adwords to the ad,,, try to have the your main keywords, services, contact # right in that first half of the page. the part that is visible when the page first opens. they say the trend is most do not click around, if they don't find what they are looking for, they exit real quick. i have a navigation link "Service Specials", not one that has called about services, repair and prices has asked me about the "Service Specials" or discount. when i actually listed it on the landing page, not necessarily at the top,, about mid page,, they asked about it, and more phones calls turned into actual repairs.

Try to get your ad up in the top 4-7, they say 1-3 isn't always the best.
Sometimes just "notching your bid up .10-.15 will get you there if your on the first page of sponsored listings. I had a few ads that were at the bottom of the first page,, adjusted the keyword by .17 and it put me at #4 slot.

"On Line Backups" isn't a good keyword for me,,,, just put up a separate page promoting Mozy (affiliate commission) just to see,,, shittttt every freaking "data backup" keyword showed a $6-$9.50 price just to make the first page! so i dropped that outta there! all the "big dogs" got that covered.

I'm in Augusta GA, the keyword "computer repair",,
i can get #1-#4 slot currently at about 2.25-$2.45 bid

"computer repair augusta"
"computer repair augusta ga"
"computer repair in augusta ga"
i can get the same top slot for about $1.45
and if my "click thru rate is good (low ad impressions using negative keywords, and "catchy" copy) a click might end up being .95

Affordable PC Repair
Computer Spring Tuneup Repair
15% OFF PC Repair Augusta
(for example above,, if you can fit it all in there)

the nice thing about the above is you can end the sale or discount, the ad whenever you want,, bump it up to 20%, 25% just to see if you start getting "bites". see how your ad looks using google ad review tool,, is it on the first page, does it stand out in comparison to the other ads, and competiton? if you were looking for a good computer repair place, would YOU see it,, would YOU click on it to check out.

which another thing, make at least 3-4 ad copies in the campaign, monitor which ones gets the most hits/clicks. once you do, that is the one you want to build around. sometimes just changing one word might "make or break" the ad to. you can pause the other ads, and make a new one to re-adjust and test.

but if you can keep the "impressions" in good ratio to clicks (High Quality Score)
higher "click thru rate" thru good ad copy and negative keywords,,, that $2.45 bid might end up being a $1.35 charge................. google looks at relevancy, and click thru rate real heavy!!!!

within adwords, they have a special ad preview tool to use to actually view or search your keyword(s) and see where your ad is actually at,, using this tool DOES not register an "impression". when first got into this, i was doing this thru googles regular search engine,, WHICH WAS registering as an impression on my own account. so i use there preview tool now, AND NOT the regular google search page.

Good "catchy" ad copy, and negative keywords, finding your "niche" as they say for your business and area, along with placing the money, higher bids on the main keywords is important.

it is alot of work, adwords is not a set and forget tool.

www.laptoprepairaugusta.com (http://laptoprepairaugusta.com)