PDA

View Full Version : whats good to transfer full profiles in windows

focuz
09-26-2007, 04:42 AM
I was just wondering what everyone out their is using to transfer full profiles of their clients data. It is very troublesome to go through and download everything manually and then possibly accidentally forget something. I need a script or something that will put all their files in an archive so that I have their full backup automatically created.

Vitiated
09-26-2007, 08:09 AM
I was just wondering what everyone out their is using to transfer full profiles of their clients data. It is very troublesome to go through and download everything manually and then possibly accidentally forget something. I need a script or something that will put all their files in an archive so that I have their full backup automatically created.

Couple of things come to mind:

1) To copy a full user profile, log off of the profile you wish to copy and log on with another user..ie..admin (ctrl+alt+del twice at the XP Welcome screen, likely no password). You should be able to copy the profile that is not logged on. Reboot and log straight into alternate profile and try again if issues arise - sometimes logging out does not release locks on files.

I believe this will only work for backup. I have been unable to find a way to restore a profile to another (or same) PC. It's based on the user account identifier I believe. Would be interesting to find out more about this...

2) FAST (File and Settings Transfer Wizard): Available on your Windows XP install disk under the Tools folder I believe. Has many options and can copy most of the user's data and settings.

3) MS Office Only - Save my Settings Wizard: Save settings from old system. Drop down to new system. Done.

4) Create a comprehensive check list. Work through said check list each and every time.

Bryce W
09-26-2007, 02:29 PM
4) Create a comprehensive check list. Work through said check list each and every time.
The Computer Business Kit comes with such a list.
http://www.technibble.com/products/computer-business-kit/

focuz
09-26-2007, 03:11 PM
Looks like FAST (File and Settings Transfer Wizard) and a list will be my best bet. Just didn't know if their where any other good alternatives or not.

greggh
09-26-2007, 04:17 PM
CA DNA Migrator is a good tool for the job.
http://shop.ca.com/pc_migration/file_transfer.aspx

Blues
09-26-2007, 04:24 PM
At work we have a domain setup and our users have roaming profiles. The system copyies thier profile to the server when they log off and copies the profile to the PC when they log on. This copies everything except the Local Settings folder as when it does copy it, don't ask why sometimes it just does, then you get some wierd problems and have to dump the entire profile. More or less my assumption based on this is you should be able to copy everything except local settings to go to any PC with it. This is just the users settings desktop and my documents folder. I don't see any need to automate this unless it is on many PCs.

greggh
09-27-2007, 04:58 PM
Blues, do you also do folder redirection? I am about to roll out our domain here (After a couple years of fighting I finally have proper servers setup and ready to go.) I have it configured for roaming profiles and redirection of the my documents and desktop folders. It seems to speed up the login/logoff a lot. I was just wondering if you were, did you have anything I should look out for in the first week or so?

Blues
09-28-2007, 09:27 PM
I came into this with all this setup but with quirky problems popping up here and there I get some info on how it is set up. I did not set this up I know we do have redirection of somethings but not all. The quirky things I run into are while it all works for everyone 90% of the time 10% of the time it gets all screwed up. I would consider researching known issues people commonly have with it for certain apps and settings.