PDA

View Full Version : Change ip

karthickips
09-24-2007, 04:52 PM
I am using Windows XP...Can i able to change my ip settings from limited account...Or there is any software...

thecoldone06
09-24-2007, 05:25 PM
What do you mean from a limited account? If you network connection says limited or no connectivity, you have another problem other than changing your IP. if you are on an incorrect network with your current IP then changing it will help but other than that changing it won't help. Do you use a router? what kind? wireless or wired? need more info.

breadtrk
09-24-2007, 10:54 PM
For what reason do you need to change an IP on a limited account?

The Goatboy
09-24-2007, 11:09 PM
I think the question that needs to be answered first is:
Is the connection limited as 'thecoldone06' stated, or is the person really using a true 'user' account and not an admin account?

If the LAN connection is saying "limited or no connectivity", then yes the person has a bigger issue than changing the IP, althought changing the IP may resolve the 'limited or no connectivity' error (how ironic). Secondly, if the user is a "user" and not an "admin", then no I don't believe a user account has the proper privileges to change network settings.

Make sense anyone?

thecoldone06
09-24-2007, 11:10 PM
I think the question that needs to be answered first is:
Is the connection limited as 'thecoldone06' stated, or is the person really using a true 'user' account and not an admin account?

If the LAN connection is saying "limited or no connectivity", then yes the person has a bigger issue than changing the IP, althought changing the IP may resolve the 'limited or no connectivity' error (how ironic). Secondly, if the user is a "user" and not an "admin", then no I don't believe a user account has the proper privileges to change network settings.

Make sense anyone?

makes perfect sense to me but until he answers back we'll never know! ;)

tkrabec
09-25-2007, 04:23 AM
If it is DHCP, then it is simple, unplug the network cable, wait a few seconds then plug it back in. If it is not DCHP then it gets a bit tougher.

Vitiated
09-25-2007, 10:16 PM
If it is DHCP, then it is simple, unplug the network cable, wait a few seconds then plug it back in. If it is not DCHP then it gets a bit tougher.

Not necessarily; DHCP often operates with a "lease" where the system is assigned an IP for a period of time. At the end of the lease, another IP address is assigned.

This is a horribly phrased question; we're going to need more details...

focuz
09-26-2007, 04:36 AM
The "limited or no connectivity" error is a totally separate issue that wouldn't require changing your ip. If your using DHCP then the lease will hold you for normally 5 days so just resetting the connection wouldn't change it.

The only reason someone with a limited account would want to change their ip is to get onto websites that their not suppose to because of either the web host blocking their ip or because one of the admins is watching their ip.

If that is not the cause then I will need a very good story as to what the actions is.

I do believe you can however get a new ip when using dhcp by using the commands in an msdos prompt.

ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew