PDA

View Full Version : I can post links now and would like a review

callthatgirl
01-09-2010, 08:01 PM
I just had my site revamped last June as I'm a huge social media maven. The Word Press move was excellent, I highly recommend using it.

http://www.callthatgirl.biz

I have a few dynamic features and a few static, I try to blog 3 times a week and I blog for the "average and simple user" so you will find that my blogs are not on the technical level.

Thoughts or advice are welcome! I haven't ever asked for a review before from my peers, so this will be interesting!

Lisa

LunchBox
01-09-2010, 08:15 PM
I like the site. I am not a pro reviewer but it looks good. Lots of information and not all bunched up on one place.

I like those guys working for you for free. How did you get one and how do they help.

I never thought about using a blog with in my site but your's looks cool and now I am considering it more.

NYJimbo
01-09-2010, 08:20 PM
Phone number at the bottom of the page on the right doesnt match the others.

If I click "Do it yourself" it shows a new page http://www.callthatgirl.biz/do-it-yourself/ for a few seconds then brings me back to http://www.callthatgirl.biz/category/diy/

callthatgirl
01-09-2010, 08:21 PM
I put up an ad at college that has a free site for internships/jobs. I put up "marketing assistant" but ended up finding an entrepreneur major that quit his PT job to work for me. He's been with me since about a year ago, and then he started tellig his friends to join up.

All of them have different majors, so it's nice to have a work flow going. They all graduate in May though, so I either have to start a new team or just close it down and hire help to assist with their on-goings.

It is working out, so if you have beneficial work for interns, that isn't "data entry" but more real projects, you will have better luck. None of my interns are doing it for credit either.

The blog is really good if you want to add your business in the "value" category. Blogs are added value.

Jimbo, I caught that a while back and keep forgetting to have the graphic changed, thanks for reminding me!

studiot
01-09-2010, 08:51 PM
The general feel is clear and clean without the distractions from the important information you see on many sites.

There is nothing 'in your face' which is good as you don't come across as 'pushy' - a good thing which builds customer trust.

I liked the spot the girl idea - did you borrow that from local radio?

One small thing however, the first page is too long so it loaded too slowly for me. I was beginning to wonder if there was going to be a problem when it came up.
I would recommend splitting it.

kentuckyjoe
01-09-2010, 10:34 PM
If you email my intern Hassan within an hour of seeing my truck….we will give you 30 free minutes of free tech support!

Get rid of one of the "free"s

Great site, nice layout, good idea with the blog

one more thing, I would limit the blog entries on the main page to 3 and then an "older posts" link, that way your readers don't have to scroll so far to get back to your navigation. Just my .02

callthatgirl
01-09-2010, 11:01 PM
studiot, I just emailed my webguy and he took out a couple of slow loaders. I found couple of other things inside WP that may be causing it too. WP does slow load for all users, but I just noticed how slow mine really was. I tested about 4 other WP sites and found them all to load in under 5 seconds. I guess that's the downside.

Kentucky, thanks for the free free advice, will do right now. And good tip on the 3 blogs then older. I'm in email communications right now with web guy.

Studiot, I got the idea from a radio sales guy who was trying to pitch a show to me, and half his marketing ideas I stole for myself and didn't do the radio show. That was one of them, and it worked. I have a few emails and those folks have since referred me out. Nice promo!

NYJimbo, will let designer know about that DIY page.

Thanks so much everyone, every little bit helps. :)

numnutz
01-10-2010, 01:55 AM
I really like your website!

callthatgirl
01-10-2010, 04:21 AM
Thanks numnutz! I am thinking of adding a "cost comparision" page with Geek Squad's prices.

:D

Lou Horton
01-15-2010, 01:16 PM
I like your site a lot. The blog is great and I think the overall look and feel is nice.

Really the only issue I had was the initial loadtime when I went to the site. Maybe it was just me but it seemed to take a while.

I noticed that the phone number in your footer is different than the one in the header, not sure if this is intentional or not but I figured it was worth mentioning.

callthatgirl
01-15-2010, 01:32 PM
Lou, it's common for Word Press sites to load a smidge slower, but after all the tweeking my web guy and I have done, we can't get it to load any faster it seems. I am not sure what I have stuck in there...sometimes it's fast, other times it's not! UGH.

We are fixing the footer too, someone else caught it. You guys did a great job!

Mr I
01-15-2010, 03:29 PM
I am thinking of adding a "cost comparison" page with Geek Squad's prices.

:D

That's a great idea. You can also add staples and office depot. I've implemented that idea on my website http://orca-technology.com/computerservices/prices/ under the "comparison" tab.

mekon
01-16-2010, 01:24 AM
Nice site, very clean, very professional. Load times are the main reason I steer clear of WP; you can speed them up but it is almost impossible to make them fast. :) In the scheme of things though your site loads pretty fast for me (4secs) and I'm in the UK; I don't think you will get it faster than that whatever you do.

callthatgirl
01-16-2010, 05:40 PM
Mekon, I'm still getting an average of 50+ hits a day so I'm not that concerned about the speed and I just love the flexibility of my site that thinking of switching isn't worth the headache right now. 4 secnds is actually decent for my site LOL.

Ok, I'm going to add in the cost comparison tab this weekend! I'm excited to have that as a page actually. Minneapolis is fully loaded with computer shops, small and retail...so my comparison is going to be based on "their fee's" and "my average costs" and customer service of course.

Mr. I--why is everything crossed out on their comparisons?

NickCat11
01-16-2010, 07:52 PM
Great looking site! 50 hits a day, you can't beat that :)

Seatek
01-16-2010, 08:54 PM
I've never seen a stick of ram that long before! .. hehe .. also when you click on the picture, you get a 404 error.

callthatgirl
01-16-2010, 09:58 PM
Those pics aren't links.

Most of my readers are simple folks, so I try to show them what stuff looks like.

I had a guy the other day say, "Ugh, the computer repair shop down the street said my fatherboard is shot!"

I write for those peeps :)

Cambridge PC Support
01-24-2010, 11:46 AM
Nice site, just spent the last 1/2 hour reading your cool blogs :)

I've tried to post a comment on one but it won't let me due to being behind a proxy - which I'm not :(

I'm thinking about starting a blog on my own website, or maybe an offshoot of it.

lgtechcomputers
02-03-2010, 02:51 AM
I think it is a nice site and I am sure it appeals to many people.

My personal experience with is that I find it just a tad busy. I like simplicity.

And the bar at the bottom seems to be off place when compared to the rest of the website...I am overly picky. :D

You certainly have a good running business for what I have seen so you must be doing lots of things right.

PcTek9
02-03-2010, 04:16 AM
i love it, i think the entire concept is just perfect.
Great Job!