PDA

View Full Version : Computing Lessons/Tuition

Simmy
09-24-2007, 10:10 AM
I've been asked by so many people (mainly the older generation) if I do any computer classes or one-on-one tuition. So many of them are interested that it's got me seriously considering it. I could hire a computer room at our local college one evening and hold several classes ranging from the very basics to more advanced tasks.

The only concern would be pricing. I wouldn't charge my usual hourly rate per person of course. I was even contemplating doing it for free as hopefully I would get a number of jobs from it. Or maybe just enough per person to cover the cost of hiring the room.

Has anyone else ever done this? It sounds like something that could be enjoyable, or it could be extremely stressful!

Bryce W
09-24-2007, 12:24 PM
I do Computer Lessons. Its nothing formal with books and projects. They pretty much tell me what they want to do and I show them how to do it. Its usually something Microsoft Office based, Sending photos via email, Putting something on Ebay etc..

My costs are a little less than my computer fixing charge. I enjoy it. :)

Holzster
09-26-2007, 05:38 PM
Simmy

I also give computer classes - I charge the same hourly rate also. What I do is I found a couple of places I can hold the class for free (if there is 3 or more people, otherwise I just give it at there place or my office.

Check you local Chamber building, your local hospitals, those are 2 places I usually can get a meeting room free.

Hope this helps.

Holzster

cmonova
10-01-2007, 07:46 PM
You can charge your hourly rate if it is in a classroom with a few people. You might want to look at places like "Retirement communities" they are always looking for classes to hold etc. Maybe offer a few free ones to see the turn-out and go from there.

tkrabec
10-01-2007, 10:20 PM
I have a retirement community near by, and they are great resources if used properly. I have spoken at their computer club several times. I plan on speaking more there in the future, as a way of testing and refining my presentations.

bubba zen
10-07-2007, 05:20 AM
I've been involved with my local computer user group and offered my services teaching computer classes to members of the group. Later, I was offered the training coordinator responsibilities and a spot on the Board of Directors. The opportunity offered me the ability to showcase my knowledge and computer talents to a large audience all at no charge. The group provides the space, computers, and projection equipment. In exchange, I donate a little of my time and knowledge. I go into this situation expecting nothing in return, but am fortunate that many students and others in the group seek out my professional services including repair and private instruction.