PDA

View Full Version : Company Name Woes

thatPC
01-05-2010, 12:53 PM
Critical eyes on please!

What do you think of this as a company name?

thatPC

I want something short and snappy which tells you that we are a tech company but which also allows room for diversification in future.

I also didn't want to go for Bob's Computer Repair type names as there are a lot of local companies with similar names.

Any opinions? No offence will be taken!

Thanks!

sjc@blainecs
01-05-2010, 01:52 PM
Do you own that domain name currently, the register shows its taken?

I think the idea is kinda fun and I agree 100% concerning a name like Bobs Computer Repair. However after thinking about it for awhile I don't think I would go with ThatPC and here's why

- Its kinda catchy but if anyone tries to search "that" is not really a specific term and for that matter PC is not either. You are going to get a lot of business from Google and thatpc.com is just not that helpful I don't believe

- To me ThatPC is not very specific. If I saw an add for ThatPC and Bobs Computer Service and I needed Computer Service guess what one I would call.

- If you want to leave it open ended I would try something like X Computer Consulting, X Technology or X Technology Service or something that is a bit more descriptive. Use a Thesaurus and look up some words that are descriptive yet not the stand ones I mention above

You have to put your customers and search engines before your desire for a unique name. I am not saying you could not make it with a name like ThatPC, there are plenty of companies of all sizes that brand their name to a space/ product but it does make it harder.

I hope that helps and good luck

sjc
Blaine Computer Services (http://www.blainecomputerservices.com/)

thatPC
01-05-2010, 02:45 PM
Thanks for your reply, sjc@blainecs. I think I agree with all your points, but something keeps pulling me to that name. It's something you would see in advertising and remember -- especially the logo I have. I accept that it's not search engine friendly but is PCWorld -- different situation I accept.

I feel that if I have X Computer Repairs or Consultancy it doesn't really describe what I do any better. It certainly doesn't suggest a brand or culture.

Any other opinions?

sjc@blainecs
01-05-2010, 06:58 PM
I feel that if I have X Computer Repairs or Consultancy it doesn't really describe what I do any better. It certainly doesn't suggest a brand or culture.

I don't know what you do so I cant describe what you do but I am assume you do something with Computers so I think X Computer Consulting does describe what you do more than ThatPC.

No word suggests your Brand or Culture, you build that. Google does not describe a brand or Culture itself but if you ask people about Google's brand or Culture now, many would say similar things

In the end your company name is a very important yet personal decision and if ThatPC speaks to you then by all means go for it!

repairit
01-05-2010, 08:54 PM
I ran into a similar thing with my company name. It didn't fully describe what I did to the casual observer so I tacked on Computer Repair and Consulting to my logo and all of my web paraphernalia. Plus the picture in my logo helps hehe. So far, I have not had any issues. Definitely go with what speaks to you, you don't want to get a few years down the road and decide you hate the name.

thatPC
01-19-2010, 02:42 PM
No word suggests your Brand or Culture, you build that. Google does not describe a brand or Culture itself but if you ask people about Google's brand or Culture now, many would say similar things

Thanks for your reply. I agree that a single word or phrase doesn't describe a brand, rather the culture is super-imposed on the word by the service you provide and the way in which you work. However, I don't think that by having a stock name, such as X Computer Repairs/Consultancy/Systems makes it very easy to communicate any culture you may have to the customer. How many companies on this forum are there with similar names to those listed above? By choosing a name like that you immediately lock yourself into a niche in the market and no company culture will ever be communicated to the customer.