PDA

View Full Version : What software should i take?

dynamicdave1983
09-19-2007, 11:35 PM
Im starting out so i need to know what software to take with me on my callouts.

What are the must haves and the tweekers/speeder uppers and password crackers the have?!(all on one disk? usb drive? seperate discs?)

Cheers
Dave:confused:

Bryce W
09-20-2007, 04:04 AM
Well, to begin with, pretty much everything in our "Computer Repair Tool of the Week" section:
http://www.technibble.com/categories/computer-repair-tools/

For hardware, this is a list of what an experienced techie brings along:
http://www.technibble.com/complete-list-of-a-veterans-on-site-computer-repair-kit/

gunslinger
09-20-2007, 10:26 PM
Having seen what the other guys on technibble bring with them, It could be enough to make one feel a bit undergunned. My personal opinion is: If you can't fit everything you need into a small case that you can carry around the computer needs to come with you back to the shop. As for software, I carry everything I need on 12 CD's and 2 flashdrives. There is more software on that media than i'll likely ever use and it would take many pages to list them all here. A few examples are Acronis boot CD, a linux based password reset disk, the latest version of autopatcher ( no longer offered, but search bittorrent for it ), winternals erd commander, Hiren's boot CD, a base program cd with things like flash , java, IE 7 .net framework ect. I also have a disk that has nothing but worm and virus removers. This is by no means an all inclusive list but it should give you a good starting point.

focuz
09-21-2007, 05:23 AM
you asked about password crackers. You should never ever... let me repeat never need those. It would take forever to brute force something and even if you wanted to use rainbow tables you would have to carry a crap lot of dvd's with the tables.

If someone forgot their windows password then you would just reset it using something like Hirens boot disk. No reason you should need the original password.

As far as my list of software it is also like gunslinger's its a pouch with about 10 CD's including some OEM OS's, some boot disks and a few utilities on a flash drive like virus removal.