PDA

View Full Version : Starting out with little experience

dynamicdave1983
09-19-2007, 09:47 AM
Im studying for my A+ with little previous experience, i know how to install xp and upgrade(just about)

I want to gain more hands on experience and earn a little on the side in my spare time.

Shall i first offer installs/virus removal and upgrades?
Will i get alot of work?

Cheers

Any other help will be much apprecieated

Dave

Blues
09-19-2007, 05:21 PM
Offer your service to a smaller area rely more on referals, friends, and family this keeps your work load minimal keep you to an area you are familiar with while you are learning. Offer a general service and some level of assurance that thier problem will be solved in a timely fashion.

Bryce W
09-20-2007, 04:13 AM
Shall i first offer installs/virus removal and upgrades?
Will i get alot of work?
Stick with what you know. Its dangerous to accept jobs that you don't know as they can really hurt your credibility. If you know virus removal/upgrades then do that.

Its probably not wise to expect alot of work to begin with. You have to build up your business over time. Things may be slow to begin with but leave a few cards with every person you visit and they can pass it onto three of their friends, who pass it onto three of their friends etc...

Computer repairs are largely a trust thing, people are a bit uncertain when they first call you but if you prove that you know what you are doing and are reliable, its unlikely they'll take the risk calling anyone else.

To expand your experience, put together some old computers out of parts you were given for free. Fix some relatives computers in exchange for a few beers and if you cant fix something, dont charge.

Fred_G
09-20-2007, 07:44 AM
"To expand your experience, put together some old computers out of parts you were given for free. Fix some relatives computers in exchange for a few beers and if you cant fix something, dont charge."

Excellent advice there Knuckles. Just be honest, do a good job, treat people right, and learn more.

E

gunslinger
09-21-2007, 04:06 AM
All good advice. I really think that the test system recomended is a good idea, if there is something that you don't know, do it on that system untill you do it in your sleep. If there is one bit of advice I could give its to never stop learning, bryce did a nice bit on this you might want to read. I have been doing this for years and I see something new almost every week.

focuz
09-21-2007, 04:54 AM
I have been doing this for years and I see something new almost every week.

I second that, theres always something new. Just start with what you know and keep reading up on stuff to learn more.

Holzster
09-24-2007, 02:50 AM
I bet if you marketed for "Virus/Spy Ware cleaning" & gave a set fee & bet you would have work out there.
Then like everyone else stated learn more then do more.