PDA

View Full Version : DHCP IP Address Monitoring

PorterComp
09-17-2007, 10:33 PM
We have several different platforms and network setups at different clients that we want to monitor the DHCP functions. Such as handing out IP leases....

I know that DHCP creates a log in the DHCP folder on the server, this is "heavy duty" work watching this log.

Has anyone out there found any software that can monitor when an IP address is handed out? When leases expire? When they are renewed? That sort of thing.

Research is coming up short.

Please let me know if any of you have a way to monitor this?

Thanks,

Jason

thecoldone06
09-17-2007, 10:43 PM
A quick "DHCP monitoring" search in google came up with this (http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/Best/dhcp-monitor.html) website. There are a few different pieces of software you might want to check out. The only thing you would really need to monitor is if it hands out an IP. You set how long the lease goes for and thus you know when it will expire. Try some of those, hope one fits your needs.

tkrabec
09-18-2007, 04:56 PM
Windows has a MMC snapin for monitoring DHCP. I think webmin also has a graphical display for *nix

PorterComp
09-18-2007, 11:45 PM
Mostly Windows 2000 Server and Windows Server 2003 Some of them are SBS servers.

The main case we are looking at here is a Windows 2000 server as primary DC with other DCs and app servers.

What's Webmin?

I'll look into the snapin.

Thanks guys, still looking for options....