PDA

View Full Version : websites

numnutz
01-03-2010, 09:12 PM
Wondering what most businesses on here do in regards to there own website design and maintenence. Do you do it yourselves or have a third party. I was looking to hire a freelance person to design and build my own website but they wanted 3grand and basically wanted me to design it all out on paper first and then they would build it. Then any changes after that would be an extra charge. Just wondering what everyone else does. I for one can not draw a straight line with a ruler so drawing something on paper is not something that would come easy for me. thanks Eric

tomdavies
01-03-2010, 10:31 PM
I built and maintain my own website, but then again, also offer website design as a service to clients - so I think it would be cheating if I didn't :) I'm not saying my website is perfect though :P

I think it's something that you need to take seriously though, and if you don't feel confident in doing so it's often best to ask a professional. Simply because a poorly executed website can often loose you more customers than not having a website at all - I know I steer clear of any company that, when I visit the website, I feel to be unprofessional.

That said, it needn't be an extremely complicated website - a few pages listing services you offer, contact information and prices is enough as long as it's simple and professionally presented. That 3k price-tag seems far too steep, unless they were custom-coding a CMS for you or something?

The any changes afterwards bringing additional charges you'll see at most places, but I would seriously consider looking at other freelancers if you don't think you could do it justice yourself :)

numnutz
01-03-2010, 10:48 PM
Thanks, I like your website btw and yes I was looking for a "back end" so customers could login to there account pay invoices, download drivers for there systmes etc..

cmonova
01-03-2010, 10:53 PM
If you can't do website design yourself you need to lock on a freelancer that you can do work with. You can contract out the work etc after you get a feeling for the person and the quality of work they do.

Yes, 3K is alot for a website to start with I would look elsewhere.

callthatgirl
01-10-2010, 04:01 AM
My designer does a great job (on building regular sites and WP sites) and he's very affordable.

http://www.holisticgeek.com

Contact him for a quote, tell him I sent you. He's awesome!

PBComputer
02-18-2010, 09:31 PM
We used to do website design, but we have now stopped, and we now have another firm which looks after our site. due to time

sjlplat
02-23-2010, 09:25 PM
From a development standpoint, writing a custom backend is no easy task. It all boils down to how much detail you want to put into it.

Invoice payment is relatively painless with established payment gateway APIs (Paypal, Authorize.Net).
Driver downloads can be a major task if you want the system to match updated drivers to customer hardware.
User Management is pretty basic.

What other features are you looking for? I designed an entire site with a pretty extensive backend for a client that included dynamic page creation, menu organization, file management, and user management for $800. It took me about a month to develop, but as a freelancer I couldn't justify charging what it was really worth.

If you want to save money you can hire a freelancer. If you go through an established business, you're not going to find anything really cheap.

TayConsInc
03-02-2010, 03:00 PM
I built our site on Wordpress then had another designer template a layout I drafted up in Photoshop.

Wordpress makes changes and updates a snap. We also blog.

AllenHBlackburn
03-03-2010, 02:46 AM
I totally redo my site every 6 months or so. I leave the content about the same but change all the page design. It's fun to do and people DO notice. Some like the changes and some don't. I do. I have built about 10 or so sites for customers and I always send them to Go Daddy. I have been using them for years.

tankman1989
03-03-2010, 07:09 AM
It seems that $3K is an awful lot. What I am doing now to design my site is look at other IT business's sites to generate some idea. I don't copy anything just take a look at what other ideas people have.

If you can make a list of pages that you like, what you want them to say (and write them so all the designer needs to do is cut and paste).

sjlplat
03-03-2010, 07:24 AM
It seems that $3K is an awful lot. What I am doing now to design my site is look at other IT business's sites to generate some idea. I don't copy anything just take a look at what other ideas people have.

If you can make a list of pages that you like, what you want them to say (and write them so all the designer needs to do is cut and paste).

$3k is a lot for a basic static website. However, if the site includes dynamic database-driven content, the price can easily fetch a lot more depending on how extensive it is.

Think of it like this. How much do you charge per hour? If a freelance web developer charged half your hourly rate to develop a dynamic database-driven website, that freelancer could potentially make your annual income in a month. Good web developers don't get credit or adequate compensation for the amount of work they put into their projects. My freelance work netted me less than minimum wage.