PDA

View Full Version : Dell PC won't boot or power up completely

JuJuHound
09-14-2007, 02:43 AM
I recently tried to upgrade my RAM with a 512 stick that a friend gave me. Turns out it didnt fit, but I thought it was connected properly when I turned the computer on. It tried to boot but shut off in a couple seconds. Now it does this even after I took it out.

When the original RAM is in the left slot, it does this boot/shut off loop infinitely. When it is in the right slot, the pc powers up fine, but does not boot. The same goes with no RAM.

I am certain that the HD and RAM are not damaged, as I have tested them on a different computer. Any suggestions? Power supply? Mobo?

Blues
09-14-2007, 03:22 AM
Get a good stick of the correct RAM and boot it likely there is an error with the BIOS regarding memory. You could also try checking things in BIOS and having it do a memory test. The third option I got in mind atm is to flash the BIOS.

Bryce W
09-14-2007, 05:37 AM
If there is bad RAM in a system they will just beep repeatedly. At what point does it boot/shutoff? How far along does it get? can you see the XP/Vista logo?

Simmy
09-14-2007, 11:29 AM
Have you tried resetting the BIOS? (either by removing the motherboard battery with the power disconnected or with the "Clear CMOS" jumper).

JuJuHound
09-14-2007, 09:23 PM
I dont even get as far as BIOS. I get about 2-3 seconds of fans and lights, the monitor goes from "NO INPUT" to black for a second, then the whole thing dies for about 5 seconds, then repeats over and over.

thecoldone06
09-14-2007, 10:13 PM
my guess is either PSU or mobo. more leaving to mobo as something was probably shorted out or broken when the incorrect memory was put in. Do you have a warranty with your Dell system? If you do, call them and they'll send you a new board.

Buzz
09-15-2007, 01:49 AM
Hey JuJuHound

From the problem description you gave it sounds like the motherboard was damaged because the problem occurred after the upgrade attempt..assuming you used the correct ram type after you had the problem and the problem still existed.

I have been repairing Dell laptops for a month now and Dell is very good at repairing in-warranty units. So if its within warranty give them a call as Coldone mentioned.

-Buzz

focuz
09-15-2007, 03:06 AM
If the ram didn't fit then I'm guessing you probably tried jamming DDR ram into a DDR2 slot or vice versa. In which case you most likely shorted out the motherboard. And I will have to give you two thumbs up if this is the case as it is very hard to put ram into a slot its not meant for.

JuJuHound
09-15-2007, 04:25 AM
thats exactly what I did (I know I know...) so is it safe to say that I shorted out the mobo and that this computer is old and out of warranty so I'm pretty much f*cked? I'm about to take it to a local store to get it fixed, but does it sound like that isn't even worth doing? and if I gave you more information on the unit would someone be able to help me locate the mobo I need to purchase?

Buzz
09-15-2007, 05:32 PM
Hey JuJuHound

Well here is the catch JuJuHound, Dell PC's are for the most part proprietary technology...meaning that a Dell motherboard would only work with a Dell PSU and case, so that you would have to order from Dell. At least this was the fact from about 1996 to around 2000-2002.

You should contact Dell and ask for that model if you could replace your motherboard with a standard technology motherboard.

I know for the power supplies in some units the power connectors are keyed the same but are wired different for just the Dell motherboard, this use to confuse people and they thought it was compatible and they would install a standard board only to get a catastrophic failure.

Get the board from Dell or do some good research, if you do not order from Dell make sure everything is compatible.

-Buzz

breadtrk
09-16-2007, 05:03 AM
Hey JuJuHound

Well here is the catch JuJuHound, Dell PC's are for the most part proprietary technology...meaning that a Dell motherboard would only work with a Dell PSU and case, so that you would have to order from Dell. At least this was the fact from about 1996 to around 2000-2002.

You should contact Dell and ask for that model if you could replace your motherboard with a standard technology motherboard.

I know for the power supplies in some units the power connectors are keyed the same but are wired different for just the Dell motherboard, this use to confuse people and they thought it was compatible and they would install a standard board only to get a catastrophic failure.

Get the board from Dell or do some good research, if you do not order from Dell make sure everything is compatible.

-Buzz

There have not been any propietary destop machines since the 80's. Find out what CPU and RAM you have and find something at Newegg that uses them and order one in your price range, slap all your non propietary Dell stuff on it and move on.

Buzz
09-16-2007, 10:57 PM
Breadtrk please review your comment again carefully and then read this..http://books.google.com/books?id=z1g-Mf33oUkC&pg=RA1-PA1177&lpg=RA1-PA1177&dq=dell+proprietary+motherboard&source=web&ots=4kc2XrkcU_&sig=JQDAuuEIXvPKwpJWCtVLFqZ7B3A#PRA1-PA1177,M1

That was a little older book above but even now Dell still makes proprietary form factors, as the most recent Comptia A+ material will note...I have a copy. ;)

-Buzz

focuz
09-17-2007, 05:24 AM
I work 90% on dell computers. And yes they still use propriotary boards, especially on the small form factors. I believe you have about a 50/50 chance on being able to use an aftermarket vs. buying one from dell. I would say as long as you check the main power connector and check to make sure that the board will fit. (As alot of dell models have trays the board sits in with out any posts in which you could screw down a motherboard as well as some other silly stuff)