PDA

View Full Version : Multiple Domain Names

thatPC
12-30-2009, 11:03 PM
Hi guys

I have a website which is mycompany.com, however, I've also managed to pick up mytowncomputerrepair.com.

Are there any significant advantages/disadvantages in terms of SEO if I use both domain names for my site? And does having mytowncomputerrepair.com have any impact when it comes to rankings?

Thanks for your advice.

PCSupportGlasgow
12-30-2009, 11:18 PM
depends on what the client types into their search page.

just make sure you have different wording on both sites.

tminer
12-30-2009, 11:51 PM
I wouldn't host the site with both domain names with the same content on both sites. Search engines consider this as duplicate content and they frown upon it.

You could 301 redirect or forward the mytowncomputerrepair.com to point to the mycompany.com (or vice versa), this would probably be the 2nd best way.

The best way would to create two totally seperate sites with totally separate content. You could even have links between each other. These sites shouldnt be on the same ip address, preferably not even on the same host or subnet ip.

as for the mytowncomputerrepair.com it could benefit you, however the domain will be pretty long to put on advertising and emails. mine is 'whatever [at] soonercomputerservices.com' and its longer than i would really like it to be. Plus you want some name recognition, will all the other competitors out there you want the customer to remember your company name, i think we all wish that we had the name exposure of geek squad (without the bad rep of course :)

Ciaran
12-30-2009, 11:56 PM
As long as it's done right, there won't be any dissadvantages

You need your second domain to send back a 301 Moved Permanently code when accessed

http://www.webconfs.com/how-to-redirect-a-webpage.php

I find the handiest way is to add it to your htaccess file

thatPC
01-02-2010, 12:07 AM
Thanks guys, I've setup the redirects correctly now according to Google's SEO advice.