PDA

View Full Version : Starting Out

JJsMom
09-10-2007, 12:27 AM
I know this is going to sound crazy but indulge me for a moment. How many of you out there were apprenhensive about starting your PC Repair Business? I feel that I don't know enough. I received my BS in IT in Aug of 06. I was blessed to get into a computer position that provides me with more experience on a daily basis. I am still a little nervous about launching out into that deep. I am pursuing my certifications and feel that I am starting out in the right direction but I am afraid of taking the next step. I feel like such a wimp. I never want to present myself as knowing everything. I know that the IT field is a learning thing everyday. I am not afraid of failing or succeeding, I just want to start. I feel like I am stuck. Sorry for babbling but I just wanted to get someone other opinions. Thanks :eek:

focuz
09-10-2007, 12:46 AM
This will be a nice read for you http://www.technibble.com/paralysis-by-analysis/

If you start small just doing a few jobs here and there then it will help get your feet a little wet before diving into the big blue.

swany971
09-10-2007, 02:17 AM
I know I was a bit nervous getting into the pc repair business. My ability to fix computers wasn't my worry, but dealing with customers face to face was. So I took a job working for Circuit City. It really helped me get comfortable.

JJsMom
09-10-2007, 02:38 AM
Thanks everyone. I did read that article several times. I am certainly grateful for the job I have because I learn something new everyday.:cool:

Bryce W
09-10-2007, 05:11 AM
When I first started out I was the same as swany971. I had no problems with fixing computers but I wasn't sure about the customer and business side of things.

Dont look at it as the big leap. Do it in baby steps. Focus on gaining your first customer, once you have that, then focus on getting your second one. Fix a few computers after work and let it build up, that way there isn't much of a 'leap' to do going freelance because you've already fixed many computers.

Mac
09-10-2007, 06:05 AM
Yeah i was the same. You have registered your biz and everything allready rite ? You are pro compaired to most lol. Got your biz plan?
Just remember.... You do know everything.... You have the net.... Google == God.... ask and yi shall recieve.
A year from now you will look back and wonder what the hell you waited so long for.

You know the song rite?

You never know, it could be great Take a chance cause you might grow Oh, ah, oh What you waiting What you waiting What you waiting What you waiting What you waiting for
lol or
Fake it baby - They won't even know!
You can make it ?
Cos everybody knows that that's the way to go

:D

gunslinger
09-10-2007, 08:53 PM
I agree with MAC, and Bryce, the main thing is that you do something. Like Mac said if you don't know something google it. I still find myself looking for answers online at lest once or twice a week. Not a week goes by that I don't see a new problem that i have not seen before or one I have seen that the standard fixes wont work on. Some might say that anyone can do that, and they would be right,but... I can google how to fix my car as well, but I don't want to do it. I had rather pay someone else to fix it for me. Also, if I do try to fix it myself and run into a problem, not knowing what i'm doing i'll be in a bad way. Thats where people like us come in with computers.

Holzster
09-24-2007, 03:15 AM
I was about the same.

I had a great job making more money then I should have. But there was one thing that drove me it was in 15 years would I be asking my self "What if I would have ....."

I would rather have my business go belly up then have to ask my self that!!

Holzster

lazzo71
01-30-2008, 11:44 AM
I'm about to have a go at it myself. I was nervous until I realised that I had been doing this work for years, I just wasn't getting paid for it. I have built my own computers for myself and friends, which still work, regularly do spyware and AV removal and know enough big tech words to bluff my way through.
I'm now going to get paid for doing something that I enjoy doing.
My business will be based around ethical service as I have never ripped anyone off and I never will.
Word of mouth business will be the key for me as it will not be my main source of income at this stage.

Nathan H
01-30-2008, 12:53 PM
Yes more of the same I was so nervous when I had my first customer...

However before that I had spent ages getting my paperwork sorted such as my invoice template my terms & conditions, policy for this policy for that....etc...Etc...

My wife then made a radical suggestion.

STOP DOING ALL THAT CRAP!!!!!!

She said all I needed was an invoice, my Terms and conditions for the client to sign, my tool kit, my knowledge and most importantly where to look if I didn't know something.

She then pointed out that all the other paperwork and policies I had been working on are no good unless I g and get customers...

I done this more to shut her up than because I thought she was right (Which she was of course)

I have never looked back since...

My advice to you is if you are wanting to start up in business yourself, stop taking about it and do it, (Of course itís scary but so was sex until I tried it)

Qualifications are good if youíre an employee but Mr. Joe Average hasn't got a clue what the mean, most of us get our knowledge from the job, books good old Google and sites like this.

Good luck and I hope it works out for you.

generalj
01-30-2008, 06:48 PM
Yes more of the same I was so nervous when I had my first customer...

However before that I had spent ages getting my paperwork sorted such as my invoice template my terms & conditions, policy for this policy for that....etc...Etc...

My wife then made a radical suggestion.

STOP DOING ALL THAT CRAP!!!!!!

She said all I needed was an invoice, my Terms and conditions for the client to sign, my tool kit, my knowledge and most importantly where to look if I didn't know something.

She then pointed out that all the other paperwork and policies I had been working on are no good unless I g and get customers...

I done this more to shut her up than because I thought she was right (Which she was of course)

I have never looked back since...

My advice to you is if you are wanting to start up in business yourself, stop taking about it and do it, (Of course itís scary but so was sex until I tried it)

Qualifications are good if youíre an employee but Mr. Joe Average hasn't got a clue what the mean, most of us get our knowledge from the job, books good old Google and sites like this.

Good luck and I hope it works out for you.

Dude, this is great motivation for me. I have been in this "getting the paperwork and templates setup" phase like for 3 weeks now. I think I just need to start advertising and get going. I am waiting on my logo to come back though so I think as soon as that comes back I am getting the b. cards printed and then its on.

Thanks that is great motivation.

Nathan H
01-30-2008, 08:24 PM
Your Welcome,
My life now has meaning....

Lol...:)

Leztek
01-31-2008, 02:42 AM
Well...

I guess I am a little different... the business side doesn't scare me.... I have an undergrad in accounting and I have worked as an accountant in the past. The computer part is fine too, second undergrad in in computer science.. I am five classes away from my masters in IS. (Ok I'm bragging)

What I fear is people not taking me seriously in my own business, the fear of rejection and my lack of confidence.

Not sure why... but I just am...

Jeff

Bryce W
01-31-2008, 03:12 AM
Dude, this is great motivation for me. I have been in this "getting the paperwork and templates setup" phase like for 3 weeks now. I think I just need to start advertising and get going. I am waiting on my logo to come back though so I think as soon as that comes back I am getting the b. cards printed and then its on.

Thanks that is great motivation.
If you dont have the time to make your own paperwork, check out our computer business kit (http://www.technibble.com/products/computer-business-kit/).

Also, I know exactly what Nathan H means. In fact, I wrote an article about it some time ago:
http://www.technibble.com/paralysis-by-analysis/

generalj
01-31-2008, 07:24 PM
Ya I did purchase the kit a couple weeks ago, :) Just making sure its exactly how I like it :)

lazzo71
02-01-2008, 12:55 PM
Good advice Nathan and thank you.

I don't know if I was that nervous about sex though as I knew sooner or later that would happen. Then again, your first customer is the same, sooner or later you are going to get one.
I am very excited that I am starting a business, then again, I have employment that I can fall back on and only do PC repair on the side until I can make a living off it. Having my cake and eat it too I suppose.
As for Leztek, man, have a go at it. I have NO formal qualifications in the IT industry though have built several computers and upgraded/serviced many of my friends systems with little to no hassle. I am having a go just based on that alone. Hell, I used Office publisher and printed my own business cards.
You have nothing to lose and everything to gain. Reading your resume makes me doubt myself but I'm still having a go.

Leztek
02-03-2008, 01:02 AM
Lazzo....

Thanks for the words of encouragement...

But honestly... most of what I've learned is self taught....

Most of the books are theory or mangement level, such as a CIO. I have to admit the accounting degree does help. In additon to the accounting courses, I had to take general business courses, such as marketing and mangement...

Good luck to all who are starting up....

and continued success to those who are established...

lazzo71
02-03-2008, 06:03 AM
Same here Leztek,
I started years ago adding wav files to my folders so my mailbox vomited when I emptied it. I then broke my trusty old PII 400 and worked out how to fix it. That was my first lesson in PC repair and I've gone on from there. All of my "training" has been hands on, basically I stuffed something up and then taught myself how to fix it.....and the Google came along which makes software issues easier to deal with.
I then built my first computer and was impressed that it actually worked.
Now I am charging people to fix their mistakes