PDA

View Full Version : setting the computer to 256 colors

blue_jeans_vb
09-07-2007, 08:42 AM
I have a problem on the pc i'm fixing right now. I can't set it to 256 colors. The deepest level is only at high(24-bit). The computer is loaded with lots of games as it is intended for gaming purposes. The problem is it flickers but not rapidly, just once when starting and exiting. I'm afraid that it will damage the video card.

Blues
09-07-2007, 06:43 PM
Why would you want to set it to 256 colors 24-bit and 32-bit are the best color settings you can get. I wouldn't worry about damage to the video card as the monitor would be the more likely of the two to be damaged. I as a long time gamer and PC junky can tell you that the flicker is fairly common and I have yet to see it damage anything. It is possible your describing a different flicker but it sounds like the common flicker of games and many other full screen apps. If you can provide more detail and some explination behind your objectives we can offer more assistance.

blue_jeans_vb
09-07-2007, 07:07 PM
Why would you want to set it to 256 colors 24-bit and 32-bit are the best color settings you can get. I wouldn't worry about damage to the video card as the monitor would be the more likely of the two to be damaged. I as a long time gamer and PC junky can tell you that the flicker is fairly common and I have yet to see it damage anything. It is possible your describing a different flicker but it sounds like the common flicker of games and many other full screen apps. If you can provide more detail and some explination behind your objectives we can offer more assistance.

I didn't know that 24-bit is the best color settings. Now that I know i'll leave it in that kind of setting. Actually the problem is with the monitor, when executing a game it makes a sound. This is not the best descripition I can give, it sounds like turning off a 39" color lcd tv, (btw the monitor I'm using is 20" but I'm not exactly sure, what I'm sure is that it's not a typical size of a monitor.)

blue_jeans_vb
09-07-2007, 07:11 PM
not loud as it sounds but it's like turning off a lcd tv.

Blues
09-07-2007, 09:35 PM
Is it a clicking kind of noise and does it do once for an off and agian when it comes back? What brand and type, ie LCD or CRT, is the monitor?

blue_jeans_vb
09-08-2007, 08:09 AM
Is it a clicking kind of noise and does it do once for an off and agian when it comes back? What brand and type, ie LCD or CRT, is the monitor?

It just click once. The monitor is not an lcd, but the brand is 20" IBM which I bought as a second hand. Maybe it's clicking because it's big.

blue_jeans_vb
09-08-2007, 08:13 AM

It's a cliccking kind of noise, it does it once. The monitor is not an lcd, but the brand is IBM(20") which I bought as a second hand. Maybe it's clicking because it's big.

Simmy
09-08-2007, 10:59 AM
The clicking sound comes from the relays in the monitor as it switches between different resolutions. This could be the sound you are talking about, in which case it is perfectly normal

blue_jeans_vb
09-10-2007, 08:24 AM
Many thanks to the both of you blues and simmys for replying. Now I need not to worry.