PDA

View Full Version : Barracuda local and off-site backup solution?

zfrogz
12-18-2009, 11:33 PM
Has anyone had any experience with these? Looks and sounds like a great product for a good price.

The Model 190 is $950ish for the device with 250gb local storage then $50/month for 100gb off-site storage

www_barracudanetworks_com /ns/products/backup_overview.php

I have used barracuda spam filters before but never any of their backup solutions. I trust them as a company but am curious about the interface. Just wondering if anyone has played with one of these or if there is something else I should be looking at that may be better/cheaper.

DanB
12-19-2009, 03:36 PM
Ouch. I would never spend that much! I may not understand what you are asking but ...

This is a little dated buy should give you a idea for online storage,
http://lifehacker.com/5064688/online-storage-feature+by+feature-comparison-chart

As to devices I can get a Network Attached Storage device w/1 terrabyte for 300.00.

chrisaroz
12-19-2009, 04:03 PM
You know, that's actually not that bad. I'm a fan of barracuda, and any time my customers can afford an enterprise level device I go for it. I would say go with the 390 though. I found one for about $1200 at Provantage.com. I would still prefer to have a solution I can sell that generates recurring revenue for me though, not someone else. One way I do this is by selling a NAS, and reselling my Mozy to go with it.

Just out of curiosity, why did you edit the link so we had to type it instead of just pasting the link?

chrisaroz
12-19-2009, 04:11 PM
Ouch. I would never spend that much! I may not understand what you are asking but ...

This is a little dated buy should give you a idea for online storage,
http://lifehacker.com/5064688/online-storage-feature+by+feature-comparison-chart

As to devices I can get a Network Attached Storage device w/1 terrabyte for 300.00.

There's is a HUGE difference in quality, performance, and reliability between enterprise level solutions and "consumer" level solutions. I would imagine, for most of our customers on this board, the lower-end solutions are sufficient due to price-point and level of use. But when it's possible, higher-end solutions should always be positioned. The costs are higher up front, but TCO is generally lower since there's a lower failure rate and generally higher up-time. Just my 2 cents.

zfrogz
12-19-2009, 10:18 PM
This device would be for a small business that has about 10 workstations, an exchange server and a file server. I was recently hired by this company because they did not like their previous guy. From what I can tell, he didn't do a bad job but I see some ways I can save them some money better protect their data. Currently they have MozyPro resold through their previous guy. They are paying around $210/month to backup about 30gb of data. I'm sure not all of that data needs to be backed off-site but I have not yet helped them sort through was is critical and what is not.

The reason I like the looks of that device is for many reasons:
Deduplication is an awesome way to save bandwidth and space
Configurable data retention policies for historical data
Local and off-site backups
Simple web interface for restoring data and administration

$950 up front is a bit high if it was only functioning as a NAS for local backus. With what they have been paying, though, the device will have paid for itself after a few months. The 390 looks nice but is more than they need although the internal raid would be nice.

I had to break up the URL because I am new the the forum and refused to let em hyperlink until I have made 15 posts.

chrisaroz
12-20-2009, 03:19 AM
Gotchya on all points. The only reason I mentioned the 390 was that for ~$250 more it seemed like an cheap way to ensure room for growth.

P.S. As a Mozy reseller, I can tell you he was gouging them. The best way (in that scenario) is typically to do local backups to the server, then just backup the server. Cheaper and saves bandwidth. I'm sure he hates to lose that account though!

Tweak
12-20-2009, 03:41 AM
Not a suggested device but just a reminder, sale the idea of downtime first then sale your device(s)/services...if you focus on it that way they are so much more easily convinced and willing to spend on what they need, once you spell out the consequences of potential downtime what seemed high doesn't feel so costly. ;)