PDA

View Full Version : Quad Booting With Linux and Windows 7

andrewrost3241981
12-15-2009, 04:51 PM
I only have one real "good" computer at the moment. Right now I have XP, Vista, and Debian testing installed. I have ordered Windows 7 from New Egg and it should arrive sometime this week. I want to use GRUB as my bootloader. I am thinking about doing this once my copy of Windows 7 arrives:

1. Delete the Ext3 Debian partition with diskmgmt along with the swap file from either XP or Vista.
2. Immediately install Windows on the hard disk on a partition on the hard disk after the other two windows installations.
3. Install Debian testing and a swap file on the remaining space as logical partitions, and then have the GRUB bootloader take over.

I guess my question is do you foresee any problems that might occur with this setup?

0gr3
12-15-2009, 06:40 PM
Seems okay. Why not just install 7 and install grub after? Seems easier...

JosephLeo
12-15-2009, 08:02 PM
When I do multiboots with Windows XP, Vista, Lin mixes I usually go like this.

Step 1: Insert GParted (http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php) Live CD and create all partitions required
Step 2: Install Windows XP
Step 3: Insert GParted Live CD and mark Windows XP installation as hidden and the soon to be Vista partition as boot.
Step 4: Install Windows Vista
Step 5: Insert GParted Live CD and mark Windows Vista installation as hidden
Step 6: Install Linux
Step 7: Insert GParted Live CD and uncheck the "hidden" option for the Windows XP & Vista installations and mark the linux installation as Boot.
Step 8: Reboot computer and verify that GRUB is working, if not then configure it.

I think the same can apply to a quad boot with windows 7.

andrewrost3241981
12-15-2009, 09:38 PM
When I do multiboots with Windows XP, Vista, Lin mixes I usually go like this.

Step 1: Insert GParted (http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php) Live CD and create all partitions required
Step 2: Install Windows XP
Step 3: Insert GParted Live CD and mark Windows XP installation as hidden and the soon to be Vista partition as boot.
Step 4: Install Windows Vista
Step 5: Insert GParted Live CD and mark Windows Vista installation as hidden
Step 6: Install Linux
Step 7: Insert GParted Live CD and uncheck the "hidden" option for the Windows XP & Vista installations and mark the linux installation as Boot.
Step 8: Reboot computer and verify that GRUB is working, if not then configure it.

I think the same can apply to a quad boot with windows 7.

Seems like a good plan. The only real reason I am going to have four operating systems is because I do media digitization in addition to computer repair and I have a slide/film scanner that will not work under Vista (or even let me boot) but works fine under XP. I bought Windows 7 because I figured I should install it and get to know how to use it if I am going to do repairs on systems that use it. And Linux, well... even though I use Windows most of the time, I prefer it over Windows and eventually would like to do most of my work under a Linux system, although I doubt that will happen any time soon:p

JosephLeo
12-16-2009, 06:26 PM
The only real reason I am going to have four operating systems is because...

I understand. I used to (and will soon be getting back into) web development and in order for me to properly test my websites I had to check them in OS/X, Windows XP, Windows Vista and Ubuntu so at the time I had a Mac and a PC with a Tri-boot and I think about 15 different web browsers.
Internet Explorer 5 for Mac
Internet Explorer 5.5
Internet Explorer 6
Internet Explorer 7
Firefox 2 for Win
Firefox 2 for Mac
Firefox 2 for Lin
Opera 9 for Win
Opera 9 for Mac
Opera 9 for Lin
Safari for Win
Safari for Mac
iCab
Camino
Konqueror

Now I'll also have to add Internet Explorer 8, Firefox 3 for Win/Lin/Mac, Opera 10 for Win/Lin/Mac, Chrome for Win/Lin/Mac to my lineup. Another 10! browsers.

About 90% of the time I'd never have to test anything in Mac or Linux in the first place, but it's always best practice to just make sure once in a while. I'd say I checked them all maybe 3 times during my entire development process and I've only once had a problem with Mac IE5 which is because I didn't escape some CSS code for Windows IE.

tekgeek
01-22-2010, 03:00 AM
just came across this thread

just a note for josephleo

not sure if you have ever seen this before
but this site will take a snapshot of which ever
web page you created and show you what it looks like
on over 50+ browsers

http://browsershots.org/

Psychoticus
01-22-2010, 03:18 AM
Seems like a good plan. The only real reason I am going to have four operating systems is because I do media digitization in addition to computer repair and I have a slide/film scanner that will not work under Vista (or even let me boot) but works fine under XP. I bought Windows 7 because I figured I should install it and get to know how to use it if I am going to do repairs on systems that use it. And Linux, well... even though I use Windows most of the time, I prefer it over Windows and eventually would like to do most of my work under a Linux system, although I doubt that will happen any time soon:p

Have you thought about virtualisation?

rahimhd
08-04-2010, 07:13 PM
On my xp box, i used virtualbox and run 7, freebsd, ubuntu there (well not running all together but installed on virtualbox).
Seems like a good place to test a new OS without messing up the current setting.

Martyn
08-04-2010, 07:30 PM
I use Virtualbox as well with 6 operating systems.

vdub12
08-16-2010, 04:54 PM
+1 on virtualbox

I use a Linux host and have windows XP, Windows 7, and Windows 2k3 server all running at the same time.

Honestly I think VM's will work better for you because you don't have to reboot every time.

dbdawn
08-16-2010, 09:12 PM
what do you use for a host os?

+1 on virtualbox

I use a Linux host and have windows XP, Windows 7, and Windows 2k3 server all running at the same time.

Honestly I think VM's will work better for you because you don't have to reboot every time.

vdub12
08-17-2010, 10:05 AM
what do you use for a host os?

Linux

Filler Text...............

dbdawn
08-17-2010, 05:00 PM
Linux

Filler Text...............

I guess I could ask what flavor of linux have you found to be the best? :rolleyes:

n4cer
08-17-2010, 08:55 PM
I use Virtualbox on a Windows Xp machine in my shop that has Vista and Win 7 on it.Also use Virtualbox to test other os systems.

vdub12
08-18-2010, 09:13 AM
I guess I could ask what flavor of linux have you found to be the best? :rolleyes:

Sorry, OpenSUSE..............

dbdawn
08-18-2010, 05:54 PM
Sorry, OpenSUSE..............

Thanks!

Filler text.............

dr-pc
08-20-2010, 12:11 PM
Yep i second virtualbox, run it with linux as host.

If you have powerful PC and plenty of ram then you will get good performance from guests, only time i would now dual boot is if need to play windows games or on low spec PC, mainly limited ram.

Really is no need to quad boot OS unless gaming or specific software won't run well, photoshop runs well in virtualbox.