PDA

View Full Version : Deleting Files in "Temp" Folder :S

loharv
09-04-2007, 03:52 AM
Hi all,

I've noticed that my windows drive is getting full (as windows keeps reminding me with its annoying little bubble reminder) and I'm looking through trying to clear room.

I've come across two folders in my documents that I would rather like to delete, (600mb and 500mb) however, they're in a folder called "Temp."

Now normally, I would leave anything like that alone, but I'm rather desperate to clear room.

The folders appear to be something to do with Nero, named "NER66.tmp" and "NERO13349." Is there some way I can tell if these are part of the Nero install or if theyre just...clutter?

Are there any general rules when it comes to deleting this sort of thing? Apart from "If you dont know what it is, dont touch it" ?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

loharv.

Bryce W
09-04-2007, 04:23 AM
If it appears to be part of Nero, you first need to make sure that you dont accidently delete Nero itself. Right click on your Nero program icon, right click and goto Properties. If you look under "Start in" this will show you where Nero is installed. If it is not the same path as the folder you are talking about, you shouldnt damage Nero if you delete the folder in your My Documents.

Since you said the folders are 600 - 500mb, changes are its the temporary storage when you copy a CD in Nero. If you only have one CD/DVD Rom drive that is both your reader and burner, Nero will copy the contents to the hard drive first, and then burn it onto the disk. You are probably looking at the location it dumped it.

What are the names and extensions of the files? Perhaps I can tell you what it is.

loharv
09-04-2007, 06:08 AM
Hi Knuckles,

Thanks for the quick reply!

The folders seem to have pretty much the same files in the, but are slightely different sizes. There are a lot of "MST Files" and also like, the "Nero Windows Installer Package" and installer for the Nero Toolbar etc. These things are in BOTH folders though, so that makes me think its not a part of the install. The Start In location is in my program files, so I think I'm probably to delete them?

Loharv.

Bryce W
09-04-2007, 06:28 AM
A .MST file is part of the Windows SDK. Its mainly for software developers and often comes along with installer packages. I am pretty sure it would be safe to delete them.

loharv
09-04-2007, 07:06 AM
I deleted them, and all seems to be well.

Thanks for your help :)

Loharv.