PDA

View Full Version : List those nasty programs.

rurbaniak
08-31-2007, 04:49 PM
I'm putting together some contracts for support for our customers. One of the things we want to specify is the Programs we will not allow them to have installed on their business network computers. They're going to be under a monthly contract, and we'll cover things under the contract, but we're trying to eliminate some of the problems before hand, by listing some of the programs that should never be on the business computers.

They're going to be required to have Antivirus/Spyware protection before, so that will be taken care of.

So that being said, I'll list what I could think of off hand:

Peer 2 Peer Programs (LimeWire, etc.)
Torrent Programs (Bitlord, etc.)
Games (non windows installed games)
Google Desktop (I find this to slow down many computers)
Yahoo Widgets
Weather Bug
Instant Messangers (Non Business use)
Incredimail
Additional Toolbars for IE (Mywebsearch, etc)
Only recommended and allowed Spyware, Antivirus programs.

What other programs can you guys think of?

gunslinger
08-31-2007, 04:56 PM
Keep norton off of them.... as a side note without peer to peer programs and instant messangers my computers might as well not have internet. They have just been turned into typewriters.

rurbaniak
08-31-2007, 05:04 PM
Keep norton off of them.... as a side note without peer to peer programs and instant messangers my computers might as well not have internet. They have just been turned into typewriters.

I think we're switching to NOD32 as our recommended software. When their versions of Norton are up, we'll switch them..

rurbaniak
08-31-2007, 05:06 PM

Also, I agree. But thats a home computer use. Should employee's of a business be using those programs as part of their job? I don't think so. I can only see the Instant Messenger being a legitimate job need.

thecoldone06
08-31-2007, 05:09 PM
Also, I agree. But thats a home computer use. Should employee's of a business be using those programs as part of their job? I don't think so. I can only see the Instant Messenger being a legitimate job need.

To add to that, an instant messaging program that is for business use. Such as if the business uses Windows Messenger internally then fine but AIM or Yahoo i would say uninstall. As far as program go, not possible but, IE. ;)

gunslinger
08-31-2007, 08:03 PM
I agree. As for NOD32 vs. Norton its like a KIA vs. Mercedes Benz they are both cars but thats where it ends.

iladelf
08-31-2007, 08:11 PM
Incredimail is considered spyware???

That one I didn't know. I've had customers using that program for years; thought it was ok.

Look forward to other's thoughts.

greggh
09-01-2007, 03:35 AM
Norton doesnt count at all. For one very good reason, it isnt on any of my customers machines, and if it is they arent my customers.

I will NOT work on a machine that has norton on it, unless the first thing I do is remove norton. Period. I have walked out of customers houses. This is a deal breaker, period.

Symantecs Norton Removal Tool (symnrt) is the best thing they ever made.

Bryce W
09-02-2007, 05:34 AM
Starware Toolbar
Precision Time (gator/GAIN)
Smileys Central
Errorguard
CometCursor

Basically, any free toolbar/wallpaper/cursors

breadtrk
09-02-2007, 03:22 PM
Instead of a list, Add that no software other than company software. is to be installed. If any is, there will be a $500.00 fee to remove it.

It should be unnecessary though, as network admin you should have the workstations locked down anyway.

Blues
09-04-2007, 05:12 PM
We ran into a problem with Google Earth at work and it actually has some use for the people but we had to ban it. The problem is really only relevant if you have a domain network and roaming profiles. The issue was that Google Earth with your typical idiot user gets set to cache a large amount of data. We had users complaining about log in times and I found in many several hundred megs of cached info from Google Earth. I found in one case gigs of data stored and that was the end of its run. I end the end block all google apps ie: desktop, toolbar, picaso, etc. Image viewer/editor apps I generally block as windows has builtin viewer that works for the majority of actually business related images.

Rule of thumb if it looks fun block it.

Bryce W
09-05-2007, 04:24 AM
Rule of thumb if it looks fun block it.
Haha, Amen brother.

Vitiated
09-28-2007, 10:48 PM
iTunes is crappy bloatware that has no place on work computers.