PDA

View Full Version : Symantec Licensing.

rurbaniak
08-31-2007, 12:49 AM
Here's something I don't understand, and need clarification.

How does Symantec work licensing on virus definition updates for their Small Business and Corporate Editions of Antivirus?

My question is, you but a 15 Pack of Symantec Norton Antirus Corporate Edition, and install it, do you need to re-up for virus definition updates every year? Or is it free definitions? This is obvious in their retail box packages, but not so in the Corporate editions.

thecoldone06
08-31-2007, 12:56 AM
corporate edition works a little differently. You pay per seat for a license but after a year it will continue to get its updates. I asked Symantec this myself once, they said that since its corporate, that they cannot just stop the updates as this would put them in a pickle if a big company was to not update their licenses and got a virus that caused havoc. So the licensing is pretty much on the honor system but does expire after a year. Hope this answers your question.

rurbaniak
08-31-2007, 01:32 AM
corporate edition works a little differently. You pay per seat for a license but after a year it will continue to get its updates. I asked Symantec this myself once, they said that since its corporate, that they cannot just stop the updates as this would put them in a pickle if a big company was to not update their licenses and got a virus that caused havoc. So the licensing is pretty much on the honor system but does expire after a year. Hope this answers your question.

Yes, that does help. Also, I just got done with a Sales person at Symantec, this is the transcript:

Jibrail Ahmad: Hi, thank you for contacting Symantec Store Live Small and Medium Business Support. My name is Jibrail Ahmad. How may I help you?

Rodney: How does licensing work on Norton Antivirus Corporate Edition? If I buy a 15 pack, do I need to renew antivirus defintions every year?

Jibrail Ahmad: I understand you would like to know the licensing information on Corporate Edition, am I right?

Rodney: Yes.

Jibrail Ahmad: The ideal package that will provide you the option to centrally deploy and manage the program with an option to customize is Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition 10.2 for Workstations & Servers License + Basic 12 Months Support and you will have to purchase 15 licenses.

Jibrail Ahmad: You have an option for 2nd year extension wherein you will save lot of money and avoid hassles of renewal.

Rodney: What does the 12 months of Support give me? And what happens after the 12 months?

Jibrail Ahmad: If you purchase for one year the licenses need to be renewed after 12 months. However, I would suggest you to purchase for complete 2 year subscription wherein you will save lot of money and avoid hassles of renewal.

Rodney: So my definitions expire at that point, correct?

Jibrail Ahmad: Yes, you are correct.