PDA

View Full Version : Reinstall

jthom10108
08-27-2007, 12:35 AM
What would you do if you need to reinstall a OS but don't have any CD's. If there is a article on it let me know. Thanks.

rurbaniak
08-27-2007, 03:13 AM
What would you do if you need to reinstall a OS but don't have any CD's. If there is a article on it let me know. Thanks.

Thats a loaded question. In a scenerio that we run into alot when a residential doesn't have their disks is that obviously we have copies of XP, Win 2000, Vista, etc. If the customer has a key, then we'll use our software, because there's nothing wroing with that. We don't give them a copy of Windows or anything, but we'll do an Acronis Backup for them if they want as a restore measure.

swany971
08-27-2007, 04:29 AM
Is the computer a name-brand PC? If so, hit up the manufacturer for some recovery discs ($30-$40). If it's a custom-built job, then the customer will need to buy the OS.

gunslinger
08-27-2007, 02:04 PM
I do the same thing as rurbaniak. Most manufacturers should provide restore CD's free of charge. It wont be a Windows CD but should do the job.

AnotherTechGuy
08-27-2007, 02:42 PM
Most of the Mfgs will not replace the OS for systems that came with Win 98/98SE amd Win Maliniam. Try looking here for a set of Restore CDs

I will edit this post from work with the link to Recovery CD store that I use

gunslinger
08-28-2007, 07:39 AM
No offence, but If you are still using 98 you might want to consider an upgrade to XP at lest. If you are using Windows ME burn your computer now and put it out of its misery.

AnotherTechGuy
08-29-2007, 04:43 AM
Most of the Mfgs will not replace the OS for systems that came with Win 98/98SE amd Win Maliniam. Try looking here for a set of Restore CDs

I will edit this post from work with the link to Recovery CD store that I use

Sorry I didn't get this posted as soon as I said Try this site for Restoredisk sets

http://www.restoredisks.com/

greggh
08-29-2007, 04:36 PM
Sorry I didn't get this posted as soon as I said Try this site for Restoredisk sets

http://www.restoredisks.com/

Have you used restoredisks.com yet? I had never heard of them. We run into a lot of customers who don't have their discs, it would be nice to send them to that website if it actually works.