PDA

View Full Version : Hiding Wires

thecoldone06
08-24-2007, 05:04 PM
For those that install Audio/Video/networking cables in residential homes, how do you hide the wires without tearing everything up. I see that both Geek Squad and Firedog can both do a full install of AV equipment or networks in 4 to 6 hours along with hiding wires, how can you do that without tearing everything up?

rurbaniak
08-24-2007, 05:43 PM
They may use outside wall molding to cover the wires without accessing the wall. Typically when we run network cable, it's a business with a drop ceiling which makes it easy to cut a box in the wall and fish the cables through. However, residential houses are not usually that easy, so like I said probably a outside wall type thing.

But in all honesty I wouldn't even try to compete with geek squad on this. Why I say that is that Best Buy is pushing the install at point of sale. The customer buys a piece of AV equipment and they offer installation. As a customer, I usually think, "Can I do it myself?" If not, then I'll pay them to do it. I usually won't shop around for people to install it. Unless you have a retail store for AV Equipment, I think it wouldn't even be worth your time to worry about it.

thecoldone06
08-24-2007, 06:06 PM
Thank you for your reply. I agree that drop ceilings make it much easier to install cable and fish it down a wall. But your right, residential customers don't usually have that luxury. I'm not really trying to compete with Best Buy. I'm more or less thinking for network installation and if they want a media center connected there might be some AV work there. I'm thinking about getting into setting up media centers and connecting that to their network.

rurbaniak
08-24-2007, 07:18 PM
Thank you for your reply. I agree that drop ceilings make it much easier to install cable and fish it down a wall. But your right, residential customers don't usually have that luxury. I'm not really trying to compete with Best Buy. I'm more or less thinking for network installation and if they want a media center connected there might be some AV work there. I'm thinking about getting into setting up media centers and connecting that to their network.

Ahh, okay. I know MS Media Center is a built in solution, but I'd recommend you looking at Beyond TV (http://www.snapstream.com/products/beyondtv/). A much better solution.

I've used Beyond TV for over 5 years now. It's great, I've got 2 tuners, one for Digital TV, and the other for over the air HD TV. The features of Beyond TV really kick the Media Centers butt.

Blues
08-24-2007, 07:20 PM
In general for residential just use some basic zip ties to tie up the cords and then run things along base boards if they need to go a while and use wireless for most home networking just be sure to secure it

thecoldone06
08-24-2007, 07:32 PM
Ahh, okay. I know MS Media Center is a built in solution, but I'd recommend you looking at Beyond TV (http://www.snapstream.com/products/beyondtv/). A much better solution.

I've used Beyond TV for over 5 years now. It's great, I've got 2 tuners, one for Digital TV, and the other for over the air HD TV. The features of Beyond TV really kick the Media Centers butt.

Beyond TV seems really cool. Does it take any special hardware to run correctly? Are you able to use a remote to control it?

@Blues: I think thats what i'll end up doing. (as long as the client doesn't object of course) Much easier than ripping the wall out haha.

rurbaniak
08-24-2007, 07:45 PM
Beyond TV seems really cool. Does it take any special hardware to run correctly? Are you able to use a remote to control it?

@Blues: I think thats what i'll end up doing. (as long as the client doesn't object of course) Much easier than ripping the wall out haha.

You do need a compatible tuner card, besides that no. And yes you can use a remote with it.

thecoldone06
08-24-2007, 07:48 PM
When you build a media center PC, do you have to buy special mobo's that have the remote eye on them already? Never really built one but very interested in learning.

rurbaniak
08-24-2007, 08:56 PM
When you build a media center PC, do you have to buy special mobo's that have the remote eye on them already? Never really built one but very interested in learning.

It's on the Tuner Card. This is the one I have and is popular: http://www.hauppauge.com/pages/products/data_pvr150.html

The remote eye is a wire you plug into the back of the Tuner Card, and then you put the eye at the end of the wire where you want.