PDA

View Full Version : "Technician Eyes Only" Forum

Bryce W
11-17-2009, 03:06 AM
Some of you may have noticed a new forum here on the Technibble forums. If you cant see it, you need to be a full Technibble forum member which occurs after you have been on the forum for some time and after some posts.

One of our moderators, Protech Support, (http://www.technibble.com/forums/member.php?u=8810) has spotted various threads on the Technibble forums that you probably wouldn't want consumers see due to their sensitive nature. This includes pricing, profit margins, suppliers or even talking about a specific client.

We also felt that some Technicians are holding back some really useful information that they want to tell, but dont due to this forums open nature.

The solution is this new "Technicians Eyes Only" forum that is for sensitive topics only and everything else will still go into the usual "Business and Legal". This new forum is also invisible to Google.

11-17-2009, 03:29 AM
I think this is a great idea but I dont like the 5 post/5 day restrictions. On another forum I visit they have a reputation system where after you hit X rep you can access the private board. I think that would also promote good posts as people could give the user rep if they like the post. I would not like to post in the new board if all a new member has to do is post things like "great tool", "good idea, I will try that", etc and after a week gain access to everyone's secrets.

I know I would love access to the board but I also do not think I have contributed that much to the community to be privileged to view everyone's secrets.

Think is just my opinion and love the idea of the new sub board. Good job Bryce!

NickCat11
11-17-2009, 03:34 AM
The thing is hardly anyone uses the reputation button. So that method won't be effective.

Tweak
11-17-2009, 03:43 AM
I didn't notice the rep option till someone gave me some shortly after I joined, he mentioned he has rarely ever done so though so that makes me warm & fuzzy. :) But it might be nice to have a more hidden section...might be useful. No one has posted anything as of yet so I suppose we shall see how useful it becomes.

Methical
11-17-2009, 03:47 AM
The thing is hardly anyone uses the reputation button. So that method won't be effective.

Cos the reputation system is crap :) Thats why lol .. it needs more work .. I prefer to look @ post count and join date

And I also agree with EVERYTHING Newbie said, and commend him on sayin' that he hasn't contributed enough to the community to be granted access.

100 Posts, 3 months minimum has my vote.

I'm guessin' that section would contain some sensitive material.. 5 posts 5 days doesn't cut it in my opinion.

JosephLeo
11-17-2009, 05:07 AM
Cos the reputation system is crap :) Thats why lol .. it needs more work .. I prefer to look @ post count and join date

And I also agree with EVERYTHING Newbie said, and commend him on sayin' that he hasn't contributed enough to the community to be granted access.

100 Posts, 3 months minimum has my vote.

I'm guessin' that section would contain some sensitive material.. 5 posts 5 days doesn't cut it in my opinion.

Then where does that put me Methical. I only joined less than 2 months ago but I'm in the top 20 posters (I think...)

Anyway, this new forum came just at the right time Bryce as I was going to ask for some comments about my pricing structure from the community. Now I can get a proper opinion without any of my potential customers see any changes that I might make. And I agree with the others- the rep system is really flawed. I don't think more than 50 or so people have any rep at all, yet this forum has members that deserve a lot of reputation.

Methical
11-17-2009, 05:12 AM
Then where does that put me Methical. I only joined less than 2 months ago but I'm in the top 20 posters (I think...

Less than 2 months + 700+ posts = SPAMMER :P lol

Nah I was goin' to suggest that whoever is modding' the hidden forum, that they could include people out of the criteria; for special cirumstances (like this) at their discretion ..

JosephLeo
11-17-2009, 05:33 AM
Less than 2 months + 700+ posts = SPAMMER :P lol

Nah I was goin' to suggest that whoever is modding' the hidden forum, that they could include people out of the criteria; for special cirumstances (like this) at their discretion ..

Hehe. The only reason I actually have 700+ post right now is because I am a forum rat who is only part of one forum right now. Can you guess which one ;)

And yes, that sounds like a good idea. But maybe keep the entry level to a bare minimum. This forum is active, yes. But only 600 to 700 are actually active members and thus qualified to post in that forum.

I think the way Bryce has it for now is good. Although that can change at any time as time goes on. I for one vote that the new forum should have a dedicate moderator though.

ComputerClinic
11-17-2009, 05:53 AM
+1 for 100 posts, 3 month minimum. Its pretty easy to join and post 5 useless posts.

RicoS
11-17-2009, 12:26 PM
+ 1 100 post 3 month min

Rodel
11-17-2009, 12:32 PM
but what about for the beginners...like me...?:(..i hope that there is an exception...thanks...God bless...

joydivision
11-17-2009, 02:44 PM
Three months and 5 days for me too. I do hold back certain things even though I have never revealed my company name on here.

NickCat11
11-17-2009, 02:51 PM
I do hold back certain things even though I have never revealed my company name on here.

I've heard this a few times and I'm a little confused. If you don't want to reveal your company name then that's fine and I understand that. But what else are you holding back? There aren't any secrets in this industry that a quick Google search can't reveal. I don't know, maybe I'm missing something.

ProTech Support
11-17-2009, 03:21 PM
We did have a tough time deciding on the post count. The problem is if you make it something high like 100 posts / 3 month's, then members like JoesphLeo would be excluded. The point of the section is not to keep out other technicians, but to keep out wandering eyes from Google, such as customers.

One example I brought up to Bryce was a thread speaking about hardware markup. Now in the thread some were mentioning about 25% markup on all items, which is completely fine from a business standpoint - but that is not necessarily something you would want your customer to know. The problem is with a quick Google search, especially if your username is your company name (like mine) that thread will be easily stumbled upon.

Like I said, the main point is to give owners a "protected" section to discuss sensitive information - specifically from consumers, not other technicians.

barry3652
11-17-2009, 05:15 PM
If you take the 300+ post's route then surely you will end up with loads of useless posts just so members can get into see what they missing?. Just a thought, 5 post is more than enough to stop roving eyes.

11-17-2009, 05:30 PM
We did have a tough time deciding on the post count. The problem is if you make it something high like 100 posts / 3 month's, then members like JoesphLeo would be excluded. The point of the section is not to keep out other technicians, but to keep out wandering eyes from Google, such as customers.

One example I brought up to Bryce was a thread speaking about hardware markup. Now in the thread some were mentioning about 25% markup on all items, which is completely fine from a business standpoint - but that is not necessarily something you would want your customer to know. The problem is with a quick Google search, especially if your username is your company name (like mine) that thread will be easily stumbled upon.

Like I said, the main point is to give owners a "protected" section to discuss sensitive information - specifically from consumers, not other technicians.

Then I do agree with the idea of the sub board.

Blues
11-17-2009, 06:00 PM
If you take the 300+ post's route then surely you will end up with loads of useless posts just so members can get into see what they missing?. Just a thought, 5 post is more than enough to stop roving eyes.

while this doesn't effect me the only things people will miss out on is the limited trade secrets that may be shared. Pricing information such as reasoning and analysis which may reveal details customers, current or potential, should not see. We can share horror stories that might be more detailed than the customer it involves might want it to be. None of this is something we hide becuase its wrong but it is things that viewed by the wrong eyes can be misconstrued and end up hurting the many business owners here. The bottom line is we want to protect you and every other tech as best we can but in order to accomplish this we must create a standard which must be reached to become a part of this. I do think that this would be a section people should have immediate access too under a paid structure if one is ever adopted.

JosephLeo
11-17-2009, 06:22 PM
Personally, I think a great way to keep unwanted visitors out and professionals in is to introduce a premium membership for people who buy the business kit. Whoever buys the kit gets permanent access to the "Professionals Only" section for things like pricing and advertising methods as well as share some horror stories.

It'd be a great way to get more people (like myself) to buy the business kit and thus generate revenue for Bryce. I think we all don't thank him enough for bringing this community together in the first place- this would be the ultimate thanks.

Mushin
11-17-2009, 06:44 PM
+ 1 100 post 3 month min

+1 to 100 posts...

-1 to 3 Month min..

I have been on this fourm as an offical member for under 3 months but I contribute usefull topics that provoke a lot of converstion. I am sure that others newer members will do the same.

100 posts good because it makes sure that someone gets engaged in the topics..

3 months is a burden and may cause people to loose interest.

Mushin
11-17-2009, 06:46 PM
Personally, I think a great way to keep unwanted visitors out and professionals in is to introduce a premium membership for people who buy the business kit. Whoever buys the kit gets permanent access to the "Professionals Only" section for things like pricing and advertising methods as well as share some horror stories.

It'd be a great way to get more people (like myself) to buy the business kit and thus generate revenue for Bryce. I think we all don't thank him enough for bringing this community together in the first place- this would be the ultimate thanks.

+1 This is a great idea... or also have a paid supporter option. Only those that are serious will consider paying to support.

So I think a hybrid approach would be a minimum number of quality posts. Or people who pay to purchase the kit.. or those that contribute articles....

cmerepair
11-17-2009, 06:52 PM
+1 This is a great idea... or also have a paid supporter option. Only those that are serious will consider paying to support.

So I think a hybrid approach would be a minimum number of quality posts. Or people who pay to purchase the kit.. or those that contribute articles....

That's the ticket. This makes sense to me.

ComputerClinic
11-17-2009, 08:16 PM
I suppose that 3 months is a little long. But I still think that only senior members (100+ posts) should have access to this.

jay c
11-17-2009, 08:23 PM
I'm also a newbie, but...

+/-1 100 posts
-1 3 months

100 posts sounds like a lot to me, but maybe that's because I don't have 100 posts yet. :o

PCSupportGlasgow
11-17-2009, 08:44 PM
Glad to see the member only private section :D

as for access i would go for non automatic so have to request permission to view. With criteria being left to the actual mods as they can see instantly those who are techs and those just looking for freebie advice and only surface for week or two then vanish, but basic requirements of being a member for over a month and atleast 25 posts.

MobileTechie
11-17-2009, 09:40 PM
This is a great idea. There are lots of things I've thought of discussing but have not since I'm using my genuine details. In fact I've probably posted stuff I shouldn't!

I would also add I'd like to entrance conditions to err on the over-cautious - ideally moderator controlled. A min number of valid posts and ideally a website to back up the claim.

copparedds
11-17-2009, 11:37 PM

This would do the "trick", most customers hate spending money...lol

Rodel
11-18-2009, 12:03 AM
i may not have a 100 posts for more than 3 months...but technibble has given a lot to me... to the senior members, what do you think should i do in order to gain access to the "technician eyes only forums...?" :(

1101doc
11-18-2009, 03:44 AM
Although a 'noob' here myself, I have had extensive forum experience elsewhere. I think that a request/invitation method would work best.

Bryce himself could initially invite those he knows would make good 'tech-only' participants, and then general forum members could request an invitation. And/or invitations could be extended to those who are nominated by existing 'tech-only' members.

These requests could be discussed and even voted upon in a dedicated 'tech-only' thread, with invitations offered to those approved.

It seems that the purpose is to assure that the 'tech-only' section is for professionals only, so full disclosure on the part of 'invitees' should be required and verified before granting access.

While the time/post count method is a basic screening method, if set too low it potentially allows in those who have no business in 'tech-only.' Too high and it keeps out those who might significantly contribute.

I know that I am not alone among business owners/managers who read Technibble daily, but post infrequently. I am sure that we would be interested in joining the discussions in 'tech-only.' I think that the 'invitation only' method would work effectively to include those who 'should' participate, and exclude those who 'shouldn't.'

Thoughts?

1101doc
11-18-2009, 01:43 PM
so full disclosure on the part of 'invitees' should be required and verified before granting access.

All I mean by is that those who request entry should be who they say they are. I believe that participants should have their profile page filled out and offer some way of assuring that they are, in fact, who they say they are.

Forums work best when widely diverse points of view are fully represented by those who are willing to engage in a mature exchange of ideas. It would seem to me that in establishing the 'ground rules' for this project, care needs be taken to assure that all participants are professionals.

I completely agree that artificial 'military' type designations are silly. I am sure that participants in the 'tech-only' section will consider posts on the merits of the ideas presented.

cmerepair
11-18-2009, 02:15 PM
Personally, I did buy the business kit here but I would have no problem making a contribution to the site if I hadn't. After some thought I think a members only forum should be for "Members" only and that should require something that the normal web browsing person wouldn't easily do. In my opinion that would be a fee of some sort in order to become an "official member" of the site. It would both support Bryce and the site and keep out the casual browser as well.

JosephLeo
11-18-2009, 04:30 PM
Personally, I did buy the business kit here but I would have no problem making a contribution to the site if I hadn't. After some thought I think a members only forum should be for "Members" only and that should require something that the normal web browsing person wouldn't easily do. In my opinion that would be a fee of some sort in order to become an "official member" of the site. It would both support Bryce and the site and keep out the casual browser as well.

Well, there actually is one members only section called Automation & Scripting (http://www.technibble.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=34). Although, it's only used for batch scripts and the like.

KK_KK
11-20-2009, 01:55 PM
I am slightly in favor with this idea. The post count might be a bit too much, because of the daily posts. All in all, good idea for us techs. Thank you.