PDA

View Full Version : Quicktime annoyances

Dream Aura Knight
08-09-2007, 03:09 AM
I've been around the block for quite sometime and over the years, my hatred for quicktime and real player seems to not have changed. Because of schooling, I was put in a position where I had to redownload one of the ladder. As indicated in the thread name, you probably guessed it... Quicktime.

So heres the thing, I hate Quicktime. I've never liked Quicktime and if I could avoid it, not ever use the thing. Ever. Because I knew there will be times where I need it, I decided to leave it on my laptop and I've found it to be quite annoying as ever.

The question is: How do I make it so that this retarded thing never loads up what so ever and god help me, how do I make it not EVER stream stuff from my browser? I've fiddled with every single preference, option and button. I've even made it so that it has no reign of power over ANY file it can play. WMP has dominance and control over it but I can never seem to ever figure out how to make it so that it doesn't stream stuff off of a web page when I click on a link. I much rather have it ask me whether I want to play it or not.

Yes I do know of alternative methods to playing quicktime files without ever downloading it. But most of those methods involves the classic WMP player and is prone to crashing and freezing a lot.

Bryce W
08-09-2007, 04:59 AM
Might be worth using Quicktime Alternative (http://www.free-codecs.com/download/QuickTime_Alternative.htm). It installs the codec so you can play Quicktime files in any player of your choice. I dont know if you've tried it amongst your alternatives, but it doesn't crash for me.

To stop it loading up at boot time, there is an option in the preferences or you could always disable it via MSConfig (http://www.technibble.com/how-to-use-msconfig/).

To stop it streaming, you can disable in Firefox by going to Tools > Options > Content Button > Manage Button (under File types)

If you are using Internet Explorer, I think its under: Tools > Internet Options > Programs Tab > Manage Addons Button and look for anything Quicktime related.

gunslinger
08-09-2007, 05:16 AM
I would agree, quicktime sucks big time. I have not installed it on any of my computers in over 3 years, and i remove it from any computer i put my hands on ( unless the owner states otherwise ). Your options? As knuckles said Quicktime Alternative is really good, also check out VLC media player and GOM player. If you already have WMP try the k-lite codec pack. With these you can play pretty much any media ever created.