PDA

View Full Version : Booting Issues. Motherboard perhaps?

Bryce W
08-04-2007, 12:08 AM
I am having a weird problem that is driving me nuts. I have a new computer that has issues with booting.

The first time I power it up, all the fans and such will come on but no video or PC spreaker (so I am assuming it isnt even posting). Then I turn it off.

Second time I power it off it'll power up, show me the motherboard maker logo, do a ram test but as soon as it has to detect the SATA drives it'll say "SYSTEM BOOT FAIL: Your system may be overclock fail or POST interrupted" even though it detected the IDE drives that its booting from. Then I turn it off.

Third time I power it up it'll boot with no problems and run fine for as long as I want it to. As soon as I shut it down though, we go back to step one and have to go though step two and three for it to operate normally.

It happens like this every time so its not intermittent. Every single time I have to power it up 3 times for it to run normally. I have cut it down to bare bones and still has this issue. I am suspecting motherboard issues. What do you guys think?

idiot_savant
08-04-2007, 06:23 AM
I am having a weird problem that is driving me nuts. I have a new computer that has issues with booting.

The first time I power it up, all the fans and such will come on but no video or PC spreaker (so I am assuming it isnt even posting). Then I turn it off.

Second time I power it off it'll power up, show me the motherboard maker logo, do a ram test but as soon as it has to detect the SATA drives it'll say "SYSTEM BOOT FAIL: Your system may be overclock fail or POST interrupted" even though it detected the IDE drives that its booting from. Then I turn it off.

Third time I power it up it'll boot with no problems and run fine for as long as I want it to. As soon as I shut it down though, we go back to step one and have to go though step two and three for it to operate normally.

It happens like this every time so its not intermittent. Every single time I have to power it up 3 times for it to run normally. I have cut it down to bare bones and still has this issue. I am suspecting motherboard issues. What do you guys think?

I just encountered that problem with my cousin's PC it really drove me nuts....what I just did is I tried to set the BIOS to it's default settings and then the problem was gone until now it's almost 2 months since I repaired her PC........I hope this one helps you.....

rurbaniak
08-04-2007, 07:21 AM

If you stripped it to bare bones, then yea I would think the Motherboard. I take it that everything is on the board, no controller cards for the SATA? '

gunslinger
08-04-2007, 07:17 PM
I have a system here now doing almost the same thing. I press the power button and everything comes on but I have no video and no post, I tried reseting the CMOS by removing the battery with no luck. I'm thinking mobo.

breadtrk
08-04-2007, 10:20 PM
Might be good to swap out the power supply as a test if possible.

Bryce W
08-06-2007, 02:38 AM
I just encountered that problem with my cousin's PC it really drove me nuts....what I just did is I tried to set the BIOS to it's default settings and then the problem was gone until now it's almost 2 months since I repaired her PC........I hope this one helps you.....

Might be good to swap out the power supply as a test if possible.
Had already tried both of these with no luck. I am pretty sure its the motherboard. Time to RMA it. Thanks guys.

Bryce W
08-08-2007, 12:22 PM
RMA'd it back to my supplier, they repaired it (god knows what they did), got it back and the system now works perfectly. The issue definitely was the motherboard.