PDA

View Full Version : Building a on-site test PC: In a Briefcase!

wfdTamar
09-07-2006, 08:50 PM
Interesting. Now that LCD monitors are cheaper it might be worthwhile adding one to the lid stripped of all excess plastic, although often there is a spare monitor at jobs. The ability to connect the clients hard drive would be good to diagnose and/or back it up. An easier way probably would be an external drive case connected to your own laptop.

Bryce W
09-07-2006, 09:05 PM
Yeah, the USB harddrive is probably the easier way to backup data. This is good to test PCI/AGP cards, CDRoms, cables and RAM. This system is pretty old now days (i did this mod a long time ago) so it wont take modern RAM.
I used to have a little 7-inch LCD (like the ones for the back of car seats) which I could have installed. Perhaps if I build another machine I will put a LCD in it.

ArticleBot
10-28-2006, 07:55 AM
This is a article that is slightly different from our usual flavor, rather than "how to fix" this article is about "how to build". This article shows a step by step tutorial of how to build a test PC for on-site jobs, In a briefcase!
Read the full article. (http://www.technibble.com/building-a-on-site-test-pc-in-a-briefcase-2/)

phroztbyt3
04-17-2007, 06:44 PM
there are laptop kits that might prove to be a little easier to work with. Acer for example announced a laptop where its possible to upgrade your own processor (making it nice for a tester computer). Or, just buy a big ol' kit and that way there is plenty of room to plug things in.

As for things like 3.5 ide or sata. There are converters to usb that aren't full enclosures, making it easier to carry and small at that.