PDA

View Full Version : What kind of controller do I need for these drives?

Fred_G
08-02-2007, 04:20 PM
I just scored the deal of the century over the weekend! A certain computer company messed up on the prices over the weekend, and a few lucky souls, myself included, got some Seagate Cheetah T10 15K RPM hard drives for the incredible price of $18 each... I got 2. These are SAS drives, which I have no experience with.

I want to run a RAID 0 on a DFI LanParty nF4 Ultra D mobo. Any ideas on what I should get? I have set up a couple of SATA RAIDS, but until today have never seen a SAS (Serial Attached SCSI) drive.

And before you ask, they fixed the website Monday, mine must have shipped before they noticed the mixup.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

E

Blues
08-03-2007, 04:25 AM
I believe it might require a card that supports SAS drives. My understanding on them is that they communicate differently then SATA. I would look into finding out if that board can use them or if you will need a controller card.

Fred_G
10-07-2007, 02:47 AM
Sorry to revive an old thread, but I thought it was better than starting a new one. I now have a Dell Perc 5i SAS RAID controller, the cables to go to the drives. I hooked it all up, and I can get into the RAID controller's 'BIOS'. I can see the two SAS drives, but am lost as how to proceed.

Do any of you know how to set up the VD and RAID on this card?

Thanks for your time.

E