PDA

View Full Version : Chatty Customer

b_jonston
07-30-2007, 07:37 PM
Anyone have a customer who likes to talk??

I ask because I do have one of those customers. She's a nice person and she is a repeat customer but a 15minute fix can turn into an hr....

I like to talk to my customers to make them feel comfortable. They also get a sense of honesty from me that makes them want to call me again. How do you just stop the customer from talking, though?

I've tried asking the customer - anything else need to be done? the computer is all fixed now!

I've also tried to get the invoice out and ease my way to the door.

Just curious if anyone else has this trouble...

gunslinger
07-31-2007, 07:18 AM
I have had the same problem many times, and I also find it hard to get away. People seem to do this for different reasons. Some are women that i'm sure are drooling over me cause i'm the first man in there house in years. Some are just older people that don't have people over very much and need company. Some people are just plain socially inept, and they really don't know when to break off the visit. If i know i'm going to make a house call for one of these people I have a friend call me at a prearranged time, that way I can say i really have to go I have an urgent call. Stay on the phone while you are walking out. Works for me.

tkrabec
07-31-2007, 07:23 AM
Lifehacker has a post on this

http://www.lifehack.org/articles/communication/how-to-exit-a-conversation.html

I do have some customers like that, so I will be trying out some of those techniques.

greggh
07-31-2007, 10:12 AM
Lifehack.org has a lot of good articles, everyone here should read their posts at least weekly.

Bryce W
07-31-2007, 04:43 PM
Haha, I love this tip:
Make mental notes of people who have similar interests with the person you’re talking to and grab them when they are near. “Hey Mike, Jodie here just came from the snow. Didn’t you have a board you want to sell?” Step away….It reminds me of when I was studying. I had a teacher that would talk to you forever after classes, but worst of all is that he'd block your exit path so you can even glide your way to the door. You are stuck there until he finished.

The main reason I find the above quote amusing is my friend was stuck with him once and he kept giving my signals to come rescue him. He was being a bastard to me earlier in the day so I let him squirm for a while.... Until he said "oh really? Bryce knows alot about that, did you do that the other day Bryce?". The teacher turns around and traps me with his talking all the while I was thinking "oh you bastard...".