PDA

View Full Version : Handy Tech Tip (Keyboard)

AnotherTechGuy
07-30-2007, 08:47 AM
Yea I was cought onsite without a spare keyboard, yea don't just toss it in the car keep it in a keyboard box and check it regularly to make sure it is still working.

But if you don't have a spare and or your spare just went out. You may want to check this little FREE Tool out, it saved me a 30 mile trip back to town abit slower working than I like but I was able to get work done and I gave the customer a bit of a discount and they were happy and so was I.

Guys drop this tool found at Portableapps.com on your Flashdrive it will come in handy when you need it the most. Oh!!! Geeeee what is it already hehehe..

On-Screen Keyboard Portable

* File size: 0.3MB (download), 0.3MB (installed)
* Publisher: PortableApps.com
* Date updated: July 12, 2007
* System Requirements: Windows 95/98/Me/2000/XP/Vista
* License: Free / Open Source (GPL)
* Source Code: Included
* MD5 Hash (for the geeks): f94c40157b42772632796474c8cc90e7

Buzz
07-30-2007, 01:23 PM
Is this not the same one built into Windows (Start>Programs>Accessories>Accessibility>On-Screen Keyboard)

I will download it and give it a shot.

Nice that it runs off USB
Pretty good site also and the apps are free :)

-Buzz

TechPro
07-30-2007, 02:12 PM
"Is this not the same one built into Windows (Start>Programs>Accessories>Accessibility>On-Screen Keyboard)" --- Buzz

Think buzz was right, why download one, when the tool is built into windows!!

While you on the portable apps site check out:

http://portableapps.com/apps/utilities/clamwin_portable

Very good website!

While we are on the tech tips subjet check out:

http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1681

Techpro

AnotherTechGuy
07-31-2007, 04:14 AM
well like I said the customers keyboard was broken and there one in windows was not working so I needed one and my spare was inop also

Bryce W
07-31-2007, 04:51 PM
I use the Windows one when needed, but its always a good idea to bring along a real PS2 based keyboard (i bring a mini laptop sized one with me to all jobs). Ive delt with computers have that 3rd party wireless keyboards which do not work in Post/DOS whatsoever which means I cant access BIOS or enter safe mode. So it comes in handy.

youngwun0
08-01-2007, 02:38 AM
Pretty stupid question but how does it work when you are at the windows login screen and the person has a password on their account ?

AnotherTechGuy
08-01-2007, 03:53 AM
Well now that is not a stupid question in that case the portable Keyboard will not help you but if you ship out your UBCD4Win and set you up a Tech user with admin rites for the time being you can get into the system and do your work or even remove the password from the user account and have your client to redo the password. That is how you can get around that one

wizy
08-02-2007, 12:35 PM
this doesn't seem very handy.

the better tip would be carry a spare keyboard or 2 with proper adapters

AnotherTechGuy
08-03-2007, 09:57 AM
this doesn't seem very handy.

the better tip would be carry a spare keyboard or 2 with proper adapters

Wizy
Your very right on that on

breadtrk
08-04-2007, 07:38 PM
I carry a Dell server keyboard that has the trackball built in for those times their mouse won't work OR they still have a ball mouse so plugged up with dead skin, Cheetos, and Pepsi it won't track properly.

Really though, it is kinda silly for a repair guy to not carry a few keyboards, ps2 and USB and a few mice as well. Buy them from one of the many wholesale discounters dirt cheap and make a few extra bucks. I'm always running into folks that have worn their letters off or have popped a few keys off while pushing the KB back under the desk on one of those infernal POS sliding KB trays. Hooking up a optical mouse to work on someones machine that has a ball and they will be amazed at the control and buy one every time. The mice with the page back and page foward buttons seem to do very well.

You are there to make a buck, right?