PDA

View Full Version : HELP-Linksys WRT160N v3 w/Windows7 and Vista connecting

ComputeRx
10-30-2009, 04:11 AM
First of all,
HI,
Thank you very much for reading this!

K now to the issue:
I am currently puzzled by an issue I had tonight at a clients house. I can connect 1 computer wirelessly to the router but when I connect another the connection drops. The router occasionally shows that there is no internet connection but the internet icon on the router is fully active. If you connect computers via a cable it works fine.

The weird thing is that when you connect a pc to the router wirelessly you have to press the simple connect button each time.

If you need more info I would be glad to provide it.

NickCat11
10-30-2009, 05:31 AM
I haven't heard many good things about this router to be honest. Have you tried the usually things to help with the wireless connection like trying different channels, making sure no sources of major interference are in the way, etc etc. Is version 3 the latest firmware? If not I would definitely upgrade that.

ComputeRx
10-30-2009, 06:50 AM
Yes I have done the ususal troubleshooting.

Unplug power to cable modem, restart router, open connection: no security, changed channels, tried static IP, reset network adapter, mutiple restarts on PC, updated firmware, restarted router, used multiple laptops for checking connection and even a mac all of this without any luck until I pressed the easy configuration button. But even after that the router kicks other WiFi devices if one is connected it is released and the new device takes over. O and I forgot the connection is randomly kicking the pc that has connection. Do you have any other ideas of what could be the cause of this issue? The router worked fine for 2 months and then this issue started.

What router do you recommend? I want the most reliable router.

NickCat11
10-30-2009, 11:27 AM
If the router used to work fine and you tried everything you mentioned then I would bank that the router is faulty. I know it's old but I still use the Linksys WRT54GL router. You can get them dirt cheap and they have to be the most reliable router I have ever used.

thecoldone06
10-30-2009, 02:22 PM
When you say the connection drops, do you mean on the first computer already connected or on the computer you are attempting to connect? Is there any sort of MAC filtering turned on?

hondablaster
10-31-2009, 04:35 AM
I have troubleshooted that router to the max. Its stubborn. The girl I did the work for says that the "dell guy" told her N is the best and that's what she needs. So she believe a sales guy over me. LOL that's life.

So when I recommended the plain blue wrt54g* G model she insisted that I fix the her N router I tried to tell her its not really broken its just flaky she didn't seem to understand, so I just told her to unplug it when she is not using it and to plug it in before she needs it.

Apparently this seemed to be an very acceptable solution seeing she's had it for six+ months now and I when I talk to her she still thanks for me for the fix........ which I didn't fix. Just more of a smart compromise in the end.

It always works for a couple of hours before it poops out. Im sure its a heat issue the degenerates little by little.

If I was you and your client didn't have a unique range or bandwidth issue the wrt54g's are still to me the best routers around. Just read the reviews.

ComputeRx
11-01-2009, 06:04 AM
I ended up replacing the router with a Belkin Wireless N+ with a USB port for either a printer or storage device. Worked like a charm and it was cheaper than the linksys. Now just got to RMA the other router, Wish me luck =D O and I hope you all had a great Halloween.

NickCat11
11-01-2009, 09:29 AM
You definitely made the right move by replacing it. I don't know what it is but it seems like quite a few of the newer routers don't have the reliability of past models.

MobileTechie
11-02-2009, 08:19 AM
The problem with some of the older models is problems with Vista not liking them. Does anyone know if this has been solved in Win7?

NickCat11
11-02-2009, 11:16 AM
I never had any problem with the Linksys WRT54GL (older model) with Vista or 7. For me it's the newer models that seem a bit flaky lately...

topshelfpc
11-03-2009, 01:35 AM
And if you ask me, I think that WPS Button thing is a gimmick. I would rather set each device up manually. Just my .02.