PDA

View Full Version : HDD Cloning utility

tcpipp
07-23-2007, 06:25 AM
Hi all,

I am looking for some utility that allows me to do this:

Boot a computer from CD-ROM, clone computer's hard disk to an EXTERNAL USB HDD.

Basically I need something that if the computer has problems booting, I can clone its hdd before attempting any recovery.

I have donoladed the trial version of some products but they all seem to require to be installed on the computer before u can clone the hdd.

I need something that works from a bootable cd, clones to external usb hdd and does not require installation.

Any suggestions?

Thanks a lot

AnotherTechGuy
07-23-2007, 07:11 AM
Hello
What I did was bought Acronis True Image v8 for the money I don't think I could use anything else...It is up to version 10 for $49.99 check it out and I am sure there is something out there free but I started using this and just can't put it down. http://www.acronis.com/

lespaul
07-23-2007, 02:04 PM
Hey, have you tried the 'Ultimate Boot CD' - there's some non-install cloning software on there and it's a free download.

Failing that, you could try "PING (Partimage Is Not Ghost)" which will clone a partition(s) using a Linux shell - it can be burnt onto a CD and booted, or integrated into a PXE / RIS environment - easy to use and completly free!

Hope that helps.

gunslinger
07-23-2007, 02:07 PM
Acronis True Image is the best software I own. Only $26 at staples

greggh
07-24-2007, 06:26 AM
Acronis is the only way to go. It has bootable media (you can create the cd from within the app.) It boots up and finds most ide/sata drives AND external usb drives. It works. It is by far the best software for cloning.

tauzin23
07-24-2007, 12:41 PM
Hey Guys,

This is my first post on this site. I do own a computer business and use Acronis Imaging products too. They are the best... I personally like to use Acronis True Image Workstation 9.1 with Universal Restore Feature. Also really like Acronis Disk Director 10 (For partitioning hard drives or re-sizing volumes).

Acronis software now works great with Vista too. :)

gunslinger
07-24-2007, 01:37 PM
yeah, its actually one of only a handfull of programs that do work with vista

AnotherTechGuy
07-24-2007, 03:49 PM
tcpipp

You should go ahead and buy this one it is hard to beat.. It will pay for itself the first time out of the box, sometime we have to weigh the cost of great well done tool over the free ones I use it about 3 times aday on average and it has paied for itself in the profit it generates on a job well done!!!!

Some time we just have to break out the old wallet and drop a $50.00 to get hundreds in return.....

Alden
08-03-2007, 09:05 AM
Acronis is great, but what about Hdclone?

Here's what I found about them:

What Hdclone does is to create a bootable disk or CD which scans the drives on the system, prompts the user for a source drive and a target drive, then copies the source data over the target data.

Any favorable stories or horror stories?

TechPro
08-11-2007, 02:05 AM
HDClone is a good util I have used it alot, $99 for a tech license last time a checked! A bargain!!!!

Quick and easy but if you want a free product check out Drive image XML, its on the UBCD 4 WIN!

tkrabec
08-11-2007, 02:31 PM
HDClone is a good util I have used it alot, $99 for a tech license last time a checked! A bargain!!!!

Quick and easy but if you want a free product check out Drive image XML, its on the UBCD 4 WIN!

I'll second HDClone it's nice and easy, and it's pretty fast.

-- Tim