PDA

View Full Version : Metered numbers for tracking your advertising dollars

tankman1989
10-17-2009, 10:03 PM
I recently had a meeting with a sales rep for Idearc Media, they publish the Verizon Yellow pages, direct mailings and search engine marketing (SEM). I was told that I could have a unique number for the yellow pages add and also ones for the direct mailings.

The rep called these unique numbers "metered" numbers and I would be able to get data on the when I got calls and how customers responded from the adds. The only problem is that if I use these then I am going to have a bunch of numbers floating around out there, but they all point to my standard business line, so basically it is just a call forwarding.

Do any of you use this and has it been worthwhile?
Do you think having a bunch of numbers is detrimental to the business?

OfficerLahey
10-17-2009, 10:37 PM
there was a thread on the same thing here not long ago. check out some of the replys here:
http://www.technibble.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9753 :)

mmanna
10-17-2009, 11:02 PM
Yes, they do all point to your main number, and as a result, YOU don't know which calls originated where until you get your weekly/monthly/quarterly report from Idearc showing how many calls they forwarded.

I think this is a great idea, with the exception that not everyone is good about keeping new phone books and throwing out old ones which means you basically MUST keep paying for those tracking phone numbers indefinitely or risk losing customers that might be looking at an old phone book.

If I recall, they charged a fairly hefty price when I looked into it last year ($15 to $20 per month?) which is ridiculous given that many VOIP providers will let you buy extra phone numbers for just $5 to $10 per month.

At least if you sign up for a cheaper virtual # from your VOIP provider, you can keep that number in service for a few years after you decide you don't want Idearc publishing it.

tankman1989
10-17-2009, 11:21 PM
there was a thread on the same thing here not long ago. check out some of the replys here:
http://www.technibble.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9753 :)

Wow, I can't believe I missed that. I did a search but it must have slipped by me. Thank you.

tankman1989
10-17-2009, 11:32 PM
Yes, they do all point to your main number, and as a result, YOU don't know which calls originated where until you get your weekly/monthly/quarterly report from Idearc showing how many calls they forwarded.

I think this is a great idea, with the exception that not everyone is good about keeping new phone books and throwing out old ones which means you basically MUST keep paying for those tracking phone numbers indefinitely or risk losing customers that might be looking at an old phone book.

If I recall, they charged a fairly hefty price when I looked into it last year ($15 to $20 per month?) which is ridiculous given that many VOIP providers will let you buy extra phone numbers for just $5 to $10 per month.

At least if you sign up for a cheaper virtual # from your VOIP provider, you can keep that number in service for a few years after you decide you don't want Idearc publishing it.

I bolded your statement because I think that anyone who is thinking about using the "FREE" metered numbers should take this into serious consideration. I never even thought about this when my sales rep was so diligently pointing out how "great" these metered numbers are and I can have as many as I want! I thought WOW, that sounds like an awesome deal, but didn't think about having to pay for them is I discontinued the ad.

Also, I would like to point out that anyone who is going to use VoIP and can provide their own PBX (asterisk or Trixbox), you can get a line for $2 / month so this would allow for many phone numbers for a very low rate through Junction Networks.

Anyway, I just some points I thought I would point out.