PDA

View Full Version : Home based computer service

cchagnon
07-11-2007, 08:30 AM
I work fulltime as an IT Technician/IS Assistant and have decided to start a part time home based computer service business. I have registered my company name and working on the legal side of things. My question is about purchasing software to use on the client pc. How or where do I go to get software that is legal for me to use on multiple machines? Once you've removed viruses and spywhere, do you have the customer purchase some sort of protection software or just recommend something?

greggh
07-11-2007, 12:01 PM
There is a lot of free software to do all the cleaning work for you. Look into the Ultimate Boot CD for windows, http://www.ubcd4win.com. It is a bootable windows based cd that has many cleaners, and a simple way to update their signatures.

Next up you should look into the partnership deals that get you spifs for installing. If you partner with CA Software who have a whole internet suite just like mcafee and norton, you can sell the software at a good price (49.99) and they pay you for each install. It goes like this: Cleanup, install CA, bill customer for time and software. You get a CA Visa Debt card in the mail about 10 days later with $10 on it. Every sale after that you get $10 on the visa the NEXT DAY. So for every install you do, withint 24 hours you've made another $10 for that job. The card works like a credit card with a normal visa logo. Its a good setup. They also run special "events". So in the next 3 months (end of september) if you sell more than $500 worth of product you get an extra $200 at the end of september. If you sell $1000 worth of product its an extra $500. Those numbers might seem small to you, but every little penny counts in a home based business.

I wouldnt recommend CA if I didnt like the product also. We used to sell mcafee and they actually had about $20 in spiffs for our techs in the field for each sale, but the CA stuff is actually better software. The AV is their own, the anti-spyware used to be Pest Patrol, parental controls used to be k9, and the firewall is licensed from ZoneAlarm. All quality stuff.

I will also add in this little fact: I am not getting paid to tell you this, nor do I get any kind of referal bonus for it. I just think its a good deal for you.

breadtrk
07-11-2007, 04:12 PM
Very useful info right there. Do you download the package or do they send the packages out to you to stock?

greggh
07-11-2007, 07:04 PM
Its all web based. They have their whole catalog in this web site management system named OnSite. They have normal user software, small business, and enterprise stuff right there. The $10 spiff is just the one for the normal $49.99 internet suite for 1 computer. If you sell the 3 pack for a small home network you get $15. If you sell the small business one which costs the customer anywhere from 700-1000 depending on what options you choose, you get $150 on your card the next day. But it is all downloadable right there.

This might seem bad to some people, but it isnt. You can still bring the latest versions of every product with you on cd, you have a download link named latest versions for everything in your portal. The better part here is the size. The internet security suite installed with typical options takes up about 55megs and uses very few system resources (unlike nortons 2007 which is about 400megs on the last system I saw it on.) So the download is quick, the install is quick, and the software doesnt waste resources like the others. Its a real good solution.

cchagnon
07-12-2007, 04:07 AM
Your info was very helpful.

greggh
07-12-2007, 05:13 AM
Always glad to help.