PDA

View Full Version : Need help with my Home Network! (please)

Dan_eire
10-13-2009, 01:02 PM
Ok, here's my setup;

I have 10Mb Broadband, which i have plugged into a 10/100mb 5 port Linksys switch. This switch feeds two paths. The first is to my 54Mb Wireless Access Point - which two laptops connect wirelessly to. The second path is to my other 20 port switch upstairs. This facilitates my PC, Xbox360 & PS3.

Now, my problem is that i can never get more than 2 out of the 5 devices connected at any one time. I can have the 2 laptops connected wirelessly, no problem. Or my latop and the 360 connected. Or my pc and 360 etc etc (ye get the idea). If i want to connect a different device, i have to turn off&on the power to the routers/switches and then turn on the 2 devices i want to use, so they can get a valid ip address... instead of the usual 192.168.1.xx

When the other devices try to connect, they get a connection - but can't access the internet (or ping websites). I think it's something to do with DNS or DHCP - but i'm not too sure.

Any help would be much appreciated!!

Thanks.

iisjman07
10-13-2009, 02:21 PM
Quick question - are you a computer technician/trainee, as this site is not intended for home users...

Dan_eire
10-13-2009, 02:34 PM
Yes, i'm a CompTIA qualified A+ Technician - but networking is my downfall. I am turning away potential customers who need to setup a home lan, because i can't configure my own. I'll be studying for the N+ exam after christmas btw!

studiot
10-13-2009, 02:41 PM
I think it's something to do with DNS or DHCP - but i'm not too sure.

Actually I think it's more likely to be to do with your ISP - talk to them.

And by all means feel free to tell us something useful about yourself. That is the point of the introductory post after all.

ProTech Support
10-13-2009, 04:06 PM
When the other devices try to connect, they get a connection - but can't access the internet (or ping websites). I think it's something to do with DNS or DHCP - but i'm not too sure.

Any help would be much appreciated!!

Thanks.

1. Verify all computers are using DHCP and not manually set.

2. Make sure your router is properly set for DHCP

3. If all computers work (As long as there are only 2 at a time), it is most likely your ISP limiting the number of computers. I know around here that for business lines you must register your routers MAC address with the ISP. If you don't do that, it limits the number of connections to 2, and creates the same issue you are speaking of.

If none of that solves your issues, call a local networking professional. I don't say that to put you down, but it seems networking is a grey area for you and having a second set of eyes looking at it will probably help.

PatrickB
10-13-2009, 04:40 PM
Dan, I noticed two switches and an Access Point in your description, but no router. The switches would only attempt to connect each computer to the one Internet connection supplied by the ISP. If that connection is only a Modem and not a router, that may be the issue.

You may be able to resolve the issue by inserting a router between the mode and the first switch. That will provide NAT (Network Address Translation) so that only one IP address is necessary from the IP. The rest will all be local IP's handled by the router's DHCP server.

-- Patrick B.

cmerepair
10-13-2009, 04:48 PM
Dan, I noticed two switches and an Access Point in your description, but no router. The switches would only attempt to connect each computer to the one Internet connection supplied by the ISP. If that connection is only a Modem and not a router, that may be the issue.

You may be able to resolve the issue by inserting a router between the mode and the first switch. That will provide NAT (Network Address Translation) so that only one IP address is necessary from the IP. The rest will all be local IP's handled by the router's DHCP server.

-- Patrick B.

I agree here. I think this sounds like the problem. If you don't have a router connecting to the ISP using it's own mac address to register with the ISP, then it's your ISP limiting you to 2 MAC addresses. This is why you have to reset everything to connect a new device to the network as it clears the registered MAC address with the ISP and you can then connect 2 new devices.

Get a router like a linksys wrt45g or whatever you prefer and connect that to the line coming in from the ISP. Then get leased IP addresses from the router and you should be good to go.

Who is your ISP?

ProTech Support
10-13-2009, 05:08 PM

-- Patrick B.

Very good point here, I assumed the modem was also a router (a lot of the newer ones are) - should not have made that assumption. I would like to hear back and see what the case is.

studiot
10-13-2009, 06:48 PM
I have 10Mb Broadband, which i have plugged into a 10/100mb 5 port Linksys switch

Hey fella's

How do you plug broadband into a switch?

Of course he has a modem although he didn't mention it either. More to the point if he plugs it into the switch it is via an ethernet connection. 10M says modern and perhaps cable so I can't see the modem not also having a router?

He has also stated that each individual machine can gain a valid class C IP by itself, just not more than 2 at a time.

Over to you Dan.

thecoldone06
10-13-2009, 07:13 PM
The cable modem is probably also acting as the router as Studiot said. However as Patrick and cmerepair have said, the cable modem is probably only set to give out 2 DHCP addresses by default. You might be able to access the cable modem and change that or not, depends on the modem and what your ISP will allow you to do. You could also put your own router behind the modem and give out as many addresses as you wish.

MCSTECH
10-13-2009, 10:58 PM
I was about to say the same thing -

No router - Sounded like he was connecting his "Broadband Modem"
straight to a switch...

A+ ??

Dan_eire
10-14-2009, 10:44 AM
Ok, i need a router. The broadband box i have is only a "modem" and i have that plugged into a switch, when it should be plugged into a router.

Here's my current setup;

UPC (10Mb Broadband)

5-Port Switch-----Wireless Access Point (2 laptops connected wirelessly)

10-Port Switch (upstairs)-----PC

Xbox360

---PS3

and it probably should be like this;

UPC (10Mb Broadband)

Router(new)-----Wireless Access Point (2 laptops connected wirelessly)

5-Port Switch-----PC

Xbox360

---PS3

I have ordered this router - w w w.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=312788, to replace the switch.

Thanks for all your help - i'll keep you all updated with my network fumblings!

ProTech Support
10-14-2009, 03:03 PM
Ok, i need a router. The broadband box i have is only a "modem" and i have that plugged into a switch, when it should be plugged into a router.

Here's my current setup;

UPC (10Mb Broadband)

5-Port Switch-----Wireless Access Point (2 laptops connected wirelessly)

10-Port Switch (upstairs)-----PC

Xbox360

---PS3

and it probably should be like this;

UPC (10Mb Broadband)

Router(new)-----Wireless Access Point (2 laptops connected wirelessly)

5-Port Switch-----PC

Xbox360

---PS3

I have ordered this router - w w w.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=312788, to replace the switch.

Thanks for all your help - i'll keep you all updated with my network fumblings!

Yea, that was exactly your problem. The router addition will fix it.

studiot
10-14-2009, 04:10 PM
Please tell us the make and model number of this modem that you can plug into an ethernet switch, and provides at least 2 IP address.

Did you get it from the ISP?

This is not aimed at you but to know what to avoid in future.

jackz
10-20-2009, 07:25 PM
It's unlikely that UPC would give you a modem that didn't also do routing and dhcp.