PDA

View Full Version : Format Hard drive (best method?)

PorterComp
07-04-2007, 08:00 AM
If you have a drive that is bad (or going bad) and the data can still get accessed What do you use to wipe it?

When drives are under warranty and have to be returned, you can't just destroy them the old fashion way with a hammer, they have to be wiped properly.

What's your method?

tkrabec
07-04-2007, 11:29 AM
I use DBAN (Darik's Boot and Nuke)
http://dban.sourceforge.net/
put the disk in and then use "autonuke" for a quick 3x over write, A simple format does not protect the information on the disk. With the proper forensics software data can be recovered from a "simple format" I have used some such software to recover data from a drive that was over written.

I have not taken the time to try to recover data from a DBAN'd Disk.

Mac
07-04-2007, 07:37 PM
Even if you take to it with a hammer data can still be recovered. Boot n nuke is the way to go for sure :D

Bryce W
07-05-2007, 12:51 AM
Just played with Boot and Nuke. A very nice utility, I'd recommend it for this job too.

greggh
07-05-2007, 04:14 AM
Everyone already beat me to it, but I will add that Boot and Nuke is what we use when customers ask us to wipe data. I use it a few times a week. Great tool.

PorterComp
07-08-2007, 05:35 AM
Hey guys, thanks alot...I'll try that one...we have alot of warranty drives that we have to send back and some have sensitive data. Thanks again.

J